• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cast Iron Deep Dish Pizza Pie

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
Not a lot to this but it sure was delicious and filling. Will give us some go to meals for the week.

First up was making some Fathead dough - Basic recipe I use is 3/4 cup almond flour, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella , 2 tbsp cream cheese , 1 egg, teaspoon of white vinegar and a pinch of salt. For this cook I multiplied that by 3 for the amount of dough needed. Melt the cheeses in the microwave for around 2 minutes (don' t burn) and stir. add the other ingredients and fold in. Once folded in some oil / wet your hands and hand knead until you get a nice consistent dough. There are a lot of different ratios out there on ingredients for this dough, this is by far the best I have used. Optional add in a little rosemary or oregano.
dough.jpg

Next up was some filling for this bad boy. Cooked up some Dirusso Italian sausage and sliced about 2 1/2 lbs. or so. Sauteed a bunch of peppers and onions. Added in some Rao's Arrabbiata sauce and mozzarella cheese. Remembered I had a lot of pepperoni in the frig so chopped a bunch of that up and added it too.

filling.jpg

Not shown I used about half the dough , greased the skilled and line it with dough. I pre baked that at 400F until if started to feel a little firm. Filled it up with the mixture and then topped it with the rest of the dough. I sprinkled the top liberally with parmesan and dusted with some oregano.
ready to bake.jpg

Into the oven at 400F until the top browned, overshot this just a tad but still good.

baked.jpg

let it cool a bit and plated it up. nothing fancy as I am starving and my wifes already in bed reading lol. I did add some nice roasted oil packed peppers on the side to eat that are not pictured.

plated.jpg

Well that is it. This is really the mother of pizzas loaded to the gills with ingredients, great comfort food I will be doing this again and playing with the ingredients some. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
I like it Jeff! Looks hearty and comforting.

Wish we were neighbors, I always wanted to try the fathead dough.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 17, 2018
Looks pretty good. I’m guessing it’s keto. I’ll have to make that for my brother and his wife that are both keto sometime.

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Nice work on that . Looks great .

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Holy cow!!
One slice is a meal for two!!
It really looks delicious!
Al

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Jcam Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

maybe you could make one at the fall gathering.

Warren

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Yeah, Im going to try this. it is now featured on my rotator. great job cooking outside of the box

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.