Cast Iron Deep Dish Crustless Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Several folks here have done similar and it’s been on my to do list for awhile. I’ve been so busy doing the week that my then lately is dishes that make great leftovers all week. This fit the bill. First I made some sheets of foil pressed in the pan to make some templates. View attachment 655465For two of these I sprayed heavily with olive oil and then pressed out circular 3 lbs sheets of Italian sausage. View attachment 655466Time to start the build. First 3 lbs sausage pressed into the greased 17” cast iron skillet. View attachment 655467One lbs of sliced mozzarella next View attachment 655468Sauce, banana peppers, green olives, crumbled bacon and pepperoni. ( forgot to snap pic with pepperoni on this layer). View attachment 655469Three total layers , here is the full pan. A lot of the goodies on top are buried in the cheese Used shredded cheese for the top layer View attachment 655470View attachment 655471Into the oven @ 350F for a little over 2 hours. I did need to carefully pour off a fair amount of grease when finished.View attachment 655472View attachment 655473Made a quick lazy antipasto using store Italian dressing.View attachment 655474Here is a little of the loaf plated up with some marinara, basil and pepperocini peppers.View attachment 655475 It’s already friends approved lol. Thanks for looking!
A+ job

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great. Much like the pizza bowls that some places are starting to do.
A chunk of this and the pie you posted would do me in for the weekend!

Jim

Looks killer Jeff, I've done similar, but yours so much better. Kind of like a pizagna

Point for sure
Chris

Holy Cow, Jeff!
We do pizza a lot, but never anything like that.
I gotta try it, in a SMALL CI pan.
Fantastic!!!
Al

Did I get this correct, 9 lbs of sausage and no dough? Now that's a meat lovers pizza for sure. I'm sure going to try that, but maybe with less sausage, with 2 people here it would take a month to eat that much. Wow, it looks very impressive.

Thanks!
That final pic is killer! Strong work!!
Thank you. I do love working the pics
Now that is a tall pizza. Congrats on the carousal ride

Looks great and with dessert coming, you know I would try to make room, hell who am I kidding

David
Thanks David. I have plenty still. Come on over.
Simply incredible, Jeff!! That plate shot showing all of the layers? Not much to say except WOW!!
Thanks!
Looks great. Much like the pizza bowls that some places are starting to do.
A chunk of this and the pie you posted would do me in for the weekend!

Jim
It sure had me moving slow haha
I'm assuming this is keto, if so I'm going to have to try this one!!
I’d consider it keto for sure. Just pay attention to the marinara you choose
Holy cow, this solves a problem for me, no crust needed, (gotta be gluten free), what an idea. Can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting, great job!
Yessir no crust here. More room for meat lol. I’ve done similar with ground chicken for a chicken parm loaf.
Looks killer Jeff, I've done similar, but yours so much better. Kind of like a pizagna

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! I think I originally was inspired on this type dish by both you and Robert.
Wow. . . about all I can say :emoji_yum:
Thank you
Looking delicious Jeff, thanks for sharing!
Thanks
That looks delicious! Great pics too!
Appreciate it. Love taking pics
Wow does that look good! Huge like
Thanks Brian
Holy Cow, Jeff!
We do pizza a lot, but never anything like that.
I gotta try it, in a SMALL CI pan.
Fantastic!!!
Al
Thanks Al! Give it a go and let me know what you think.
Did I get this correct, 9 lbs of sausage and no dough? Now that's a meat lovers pizza for sure. I'm sure going to try that, but maybe with less sausage, with 2 people here it would take a month to eat that much. Wow, it looks very impressive.
I imagine in a 12” skillet you could work with. 3 lbs of sausage total. I think this would freeze very well too. I was going to do that but friends and family intervened LOL
Wow! Is it a pizza without a crust or lasagna without the pasta?
Who cares, it looks wonderful!
Thanks, yep it could be a lasagna as well.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Several folks here have done similar and it’s been on my to do list for awhile. I’ve been so busy doing the week that my then lately is dishes that make great leftovers all week. This fit the bill. First I made some sheets of foil pressed in the pan to make some templates. View attachment 655465For two of these I sprayed heavily with olive oil and then pressed out circular 3 lbs sheets of Italian sausage. View attachment 655466Time to start the build. First 3 lbs sausage pressed into the greased 17” cast iron skillet. View attachment 655467One lbs of sliced mozzarella next View attachment 655468Sauce, banana peppers, green olives, crumbled bacon and pepperoni. ( forgot to snap pic with pepperoni on this layer). View attachment 655469Three total layers , here is the full pan. A lot of the goodies on top are buried in the cheese Used shredded cheese for the top layer View attachment 655470View attachment 655471Into the oven @ 350F for a little over 2 hours. I did need to carefully pour off a fair amount of grease when finished.View attachment 655472View attachment 655473Made a quick lazy antipasto using store Italian dressing.View attachment 655474Here is a little of the loaf plated up with some marinara, basil and pepperocini peppers.View attachment 655475 It’s already friends approved lol. Thanks for looking!
Oh, I’ve got to do this just in a smaller version.

Wow! Somehow I didn't see this...then suddenly it's on the carousel! Awesome is all I can say. Well except skip the dessert and can I have another slice please? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky