CAST IRON COOKING ON MY LANG FIREBOX

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Let's try that again, darn thing miss fired on me. Anyway, before Lang you smoked on a WSM right? I am having issues with to little or to much smoke. Seems like if I put chunks here and ther at different l

What is with that darn reply on this iPhone right where my fingers touch?

At differnt levels it all ignites at the same time or close to it. White smoke pours out and need I tell you what that does to the meat. Do you have any Solutions?

Not Al but here's what has worked very well for me.

Preheat 1-2 small splits on the top grate while your chimney is lighting below.

When you dump your lit coals, throw the splits on top. They should ignite instantly. Let them burn for 5-10 minutes and then install the middle section and close the lid. The smoke will thicken up at this point but it will thin out shortly after your temp is dialed in. At that point, add the meat and worry about it no more! Give it a try, made a world of difference for me.
Lance

Thank you Lance I will give that a try this week end. I have two 14 pound briskets going on the WSM. Why do you warm the splits? And how are you warming them when you haven't yet dumped the lit coals? What am I missing?

Thank you Lance I will give that a try this week end. I have two 14 pound briskets going on the WSM. Why do you warm the splits? And how are you warming them when you haven't yet dumped the lit coals? What am I missing?

If you look closely at the first picture, you can see my lit chimney glowing under the splits. Just light your chimney on the charcoal grate, place the middle section with the top cooking grate in place, and put the splits on the grate. Preheating them get them to ignite immediately when you put them on the coals. This gets gets you TBS much quicker and burns off the nasties before your meat goes on.

Thank you again Lsnce I thought that's what you did but wanted to be sure. Makes less of a mess that way too.
Randy,
PS I am amazed that you could make sense of my original post. If you have an iPhone you may have experienced my problem.

Dang Al, I've been thinking about this all day and night. The possibilities are endless. I've always thought of doing a breakfast fatty or brats for other meals during a long smoke but this opens up a whole slew of other options. I will be trying this soon!

Pancakes and Eggs and Reubens oh my! Nice job Al. Points for ingenuity!

I got a brisket in the freezer calling my name while I sleep at night. Think I might do it this weekend.....
Al,
I have a question for you, b
Great looking food AL. I like the idea of cast iron cooking on the firebox. You've got the best of both worlds there. Lucky man. Don't think it would work all that well on my MES. LOL.

Points!!!!

Gary
Dang Al, I've been thinking about this all day and night. The possibilities are endless. I've always thought of doing a breakfast fatty or brats for other meals during a long smoke but this opens up a whole slew of other options. I will be trying this soon!
Looks good Al! Points! I like to sauce on my firebox!

The Lang is a wonderful smoker!

Happy smoking,
phatbac(Aaron)
Thanks a lot guys!

I'm having me some fun with this Lang for sure!

Al

One thing, some iron pieces have a "heat ring" around the bottom which would keep the piece from making full contact with the surface of the firebox. Perfect for cooking over flame, though.

One thing, some iron pieces have a "heat ring" around the bottom which would keep the piece from making full contact with the surface of the firebox. Perfect for cooking over flame, though.
On my Lang the heat ring might be a good thing, cause that pan I used got screaming hot.

Al

Lance,
I tried what you suggested and it worked great thanks again for the tip. I preheated 3 8 inch red oak splits to smoke two briskets. All my briskets turn out good, but these turned out exceptional. Nice smoke great taste and melt in your mouth tender and juicy from flat to point.

Lance,
I tried what you suggested and it worked great thanks again for the tip. I preheated 3 8 inch red oak splits to smoke two briskets. All my briskets turn out good, but these turned out exceptional. Nice smoke great taste and melt in your mouth tender and juicy from flat to point.

That's awesome, good to hear!
Lance

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky