• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cast Iron Buns

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Those look great. Bread kicks my butt and I can't eat very often. I have a sourdough and one dinner roll recipe that comes out good but more times than not when I try a new recipe it fails. I just not a baker!

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Very nice .

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Nice Buns, Devo!!
Look Great!
Like.

Bear

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
Looks great! Just love fresh baked buns and bread!

Ryan

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Those look great. Bread kicks my butt and I can't eat very often. I have a sourdough and one dinner roll recipe that comes out good but more times than not when I try a new recipe it fails. I just not a baker!
I'm the same way Brian, I just don't know enough and following recipes go completely against how I was taught to cook.

Devo1

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 7, 2018
Hey there old friend.

Can you share the recipe...plz
Really not much to the recipe. I use the original recipe from Sonny's sweet bread starter that was given to me from him on the bradley forum many years ago. This recipe is for a bread starter and I am sure even a sour dough starter would work just fine. The only thing I do different is I let the dough rise several times during the day and punch it down then off to the fridge over night. Next day I form the buns into balls about 200-250 grams. Place them in your desired pan and cover them and let them rise most of the day. This to me makes them real fluffy and light. Here is the dough instructions. You dough rise times might be different where you live.

Attachments

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I spoke with Sonny couple months ago, not doing good.

Thanks

Devo1

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 7, 2018
I spoke with Sonny couple months ago, not doing good.

Thanks
Ya I was wondering how he was getting along. He went through a rough time with the heart and I was hoping he would be fine. You know as I do every picture you saw of him he had a smoke hanging out of his mouth. Sooner or later it catches up to ya.

Last edited:

Devo1

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 7, 2018
One other thing I can add to the recipe and that has to do with internal temps of the bread or buns. I bake my bread at 300 F. Depending on bread or buns the time can run from 18- 40 minutes. I just use my Classic Super-Fast® Thermapen® and remove from the oven when the IT is between 200-210 F.

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Yes he is about lost with his eye sight also.
I have a pic at my bbq when we lived in Savannah. Sonny talking with my son after his second deployment. Sonny was explaining to him about starters and how he bakes and dries the starter.

ofelles

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 16, 2019
I thought you were just bragging when I saw the tittle.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.