Cassoulet Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
My name is Sue. I am using my husband's login (Smokin' in AZ) to post a cook that we did with leftover smoked pork tenderloin. Here goes…

We decided it was time to make a pot of Cassoulet. This may sound foofy, but it is just a French named meat and bean stew. We’ve been making this recipe for several years that we found from Taste of Home. But, we decided to make it even better by including smoked pork tenderloin that was leftover from our Anniversary cook. The recipe we had used for the pork was Jeff’s Cherry Bourbon Smoked Pork Tenderloin, which we cooked on our RecTec with Competition Blend Lumberjack pellets. However, for the Cassoulet, we didn’t need the delicious Cherry Bourbon Compote, darn it.

The original recipe is https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cassoulet-for-the-gang/

Ingredients – Our modifications:
1 pound smoked pork tenderloin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon EVOO
3 medium carrots, chopped
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) great northern beans, rinsed and drained, divided
3/4 cup white wine or additional chicken broth, divided
And, of course, Wine for the Chef to drink while preparing the meal…

IMG_20200104_125722982.jpg
IMG_20200104_130005235.jpg

In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute kielbasa in oil until lightly browned. Add leftover smoked pork tenderloin. We use our Dutch Oven as specified in the recipe. It is a great low and slow cooking vessel.

IMG_20200104_132753436.jpg

Add carrots and onion; saute. Add garlic.
IMG_20200104_132933812.jpg

Stir in the tomatoes, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
IMG_20200104_133804202.jpg

Place 1 can of beans in a food processor; add 1/4 cup wine. Cover and process until pureed. Stir into meat mixture.

Everything in the pool…Stir in the remaining beans and wine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
IMG_20200104_135510437.jpg

I wasn't going to do this post, so I didn't take any plated pics - sorry guys. But, here is a final pic of the completed cook. It is really easy and delish, so I encourage you all to try it. Bon Appetit...
IMG_20200104_141336930.jpg

John said to say, "thanks for looking"

Well Sue, it's finally nice to make your acquaintance. John and I have been talking, texting, and chatting in the forum for a long time. I gotta tell you though...I am one of the idiots that kept pressing him to get you to post this. Tracy (my wife) and I just love a good soup and this looks absolutely amazing!! Great job young lady. You may want to get your own username so John doesn't get all the credit for some incredible stuff I see coming from you in the future. I saw those turkey breasts you two did. I gotta tell you, your breasts look WAY better than his...oh wait...I didn't say that did I? I sure hope you have a sense of humor but if you're married to John, I'd think that was a pre-marital requirement :emoji_wink: Thanks so much for posting. Rest assured, this will go down in the archives and be made, possibly even this weekend.

Wow...I mean just WOW!! I really LIKE this!!
Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Very nice!! I told Robert your pics and plating were going to make him up his game!! :)
Thanks for the like...and sorry for not having the plated pics...but, I am kinda getting hooked on smoked meat. I crave it in my salads for lunch every day. So, there will likely be more from Mrs. Smokin' in AZ:emoji_wink:

Reactions: jcam222
Cassoulet is one of those things we made in the past then forgot about. Thanks for the reminder. It's now back on the list of things to make.

Well Sue, it's finally nice to make your acquaintance. John and I have been talking, texting, and chatting in the forum for a long time. I gotta tell you though...I am one of the idiots that kept pressing him to get you to post this. Tracy (my wife) and I just love a good soup and this looks absolutely amazing!! Great job young lady. You may want to get your own username so John doesn't get all the credit for some incredible stuff I see coming from you in the future. I saw those turkey breasts you two did. I gotta tell you, your breasts look WAY better than his...oh wait...I didn't say that did I? I sure hope you have a sense of humor but if you're married to John, I'd think that was a pre-marital requirement :emoji_wink: Thanks so much for posting. Rest assured, this will go down in the archives and be made, possibly even this weekend.

Wow...I mean just WOW!! I really LIKE this!!
Robert
Sense of humor...of course, I am married to John. After all, it was a requirement. Nice to meet you too. We have been having a lot of fun with these recent cooks. Our RecTec has definitely helped with our game. We have a weekend full of cooks planned. John did cheese today. We are doing Yard birds tomorrow and ribs for my parents on Sunday. Yummy! Guess what will be in my lunch salad on Monday? Yep, smoked chicken!

Thanks for the nice words and like!

Really nice Sue. I think maybe you start posting because your pictures and detail is better than " That Other Guy"! Not naming names or anything here...JJ

Really nice Sue. I think maybe you start posting because your pictures and detail is better than " That Other Guy"! Not naming names or anything here...JJ
Thanks for the positive encouragement. Hmmm, maybe I need my own login :emoji_laughing: All kidding aside, John and I have blast cooking together.

Reactions: chopsaw
Sue that looks like I could eat that any time of the year,it is soup time of the year here.
Richie

So, there will likely be more from Mrs. Smokin' in AZ:emoji_wink:

Congrats on the carousel ride!! Looks like you have your username figured out :emoji_wink: That's cool your first post made the ride, but you had a lot of experience to learn from by way of your association with John...you learned how NOT to post stuff :emoji_laughing: Just kidding John.

Happy for Sue,
Robert

Congrats on the carousel ride!! Looks like you have your username figured out :emoji_wink: That's cool your first post made the ride, but you had a lot of experience to learn from by way of your association with John...you learned how NOT to post stuff :emoji_laughing: Just kidding John.

Happy for Sue,
Robert
Thank you, this is fun! Shhh, I have been helping him with the recent plating, so I have been helping behind the scenes :emoji_wink:

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thank you, this is fun! Shhh, I have been helping him with the recent plating, so I have been helping behind the scenes

I kinda had a feeling. All of a sudden his postings took on a more elevated and somewhat elegant look about them. The positive change from his previous posts was evident. Not that his posts were bad, they just got noticeably better.

I saw that....
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky