Carolina Red Sauce Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
I’m a big fan of Rodney Scott and his whole hog cooking. I’ve never tasted it but I like his process. People rave about his red sauce. He is very secretive about all of what is in it, as he well should be. However, I have never been to the Carolinas and never tasted authentic red sauce. To day I’m going to try my hand at making what some on the interwebs think is something close to Scott’s red sauce recipe. Like I said I know nothing of it and never tasted it. I’m going to fast track some country style ribs from the butt for pulled pork and try the sauce recipe I have. Any inside “baseball” type insight or suggestions are welcome.

Here is the basic recipe I’m starting with:

2 c distilled white vinegar
1/2 a lemon sliced thin
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 c. White sugar
1 Tbs. paprika
1 tsp. Dark red Chile powder
2tsp. Accent.

What am I missing? Thank you in advance

Many/most Eastern NC sauce recipes call for a tablespoon or so of hot sauce - Franks, Texas Pete, Crystal, Louisiana, Tabasco, or the like.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So I added about 1 Tbs of Frank’s, and I minced up a couple of garlic cloves otherwise I followed the recipe. This is a very tasty sauce, and is similar to Chef JJ’s. I mopped the country ribs with it a couple times which produced a very dark rich bark. After pulling the meat I poured the rest of the sauce over and mixed it all in. Was very delicious.

Was waiting for someone from the area to comment but I've been to NC/SC a few times and have had red sauce and IMO chef jimmyj chef jimmyj finishing sauce is on point for what I had there. If I am REAL picky I'd say it was a mix of the finishing sauce and lexi dip, like the finishing sauce with a squirt or 2 of ketchup. IMO the hallmark of that sauce is the celery and allspice.
Not sure if folks know, but the folks down there always make hush puppies with PP and they dip the puppies in the sauce. Honestly, I think those might even be better than the PP :emoji_laughing:

SmokinEdge SmokinEdge That sauce recipe you have will work just fine. In my research, I found everything from a very basic, Vinegar, Red Pepper Flakes, Paprika, S & P, with or without a bit of Ketchup, to sauces with a Dozen ingredients with the Vinegar. I agree with WaterRat WaterRat , thanks for thinking of my sauce, that the Lemon would be a nice addition...JJ

I recently picked up a Rodney Scott book but haven't tried anything from it yet.
He relies a lot on MSG (Accent), which I don't have a problem with.
I'm looking forward to your results....

From what I’ve read from Scott, the cider vinegar can get “funky” in the sauce. He recommended white vinegar, but I am a big fan of malt vinegar.

Reactions: Ringer
I’m a big fan of Rodney Scott and his whole hog cooking. I’ve never tasted it but I like his process. People rave about his red sauce. He is very secretive about all of what is in it, as he well should be. However, I have never been to the Carolinas and never tasted authentic red sauce. To day I’m going to try my hand at making what some on the interwebs think is something close to Scott’s red sauce recipe. Like I said I know nothing of it and never tasted it. I’m going to fast track some country style ribs from the butt for pulled pork and try the sauce recipe I have. Any inside “baseball” type insight or suggestions are welcome.

Here is the basic recipe I’m starting with:

2 c distilled white vinegar
1/2 a lemon sliced thin
1 1/2 tsp. Fresh ground black pepper
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4 c. White sugar
1 Tbs. paprika
1 tsp. Dark red Chile powder
2tsp. Accent.

What am I missing? Thank you in advance
Looks good. I might have to try and make that too. I love Carolina bbq sauce.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky