Carnitas inspired PP tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Had a 5lb boneless butt that I tried something different. Some carnitas taco seasoning as a rub and into the smoker it went. Made along with some fresh pico, cilantro, queso fresco.

I used 1 1/2 packs of seasoning on the butt and reserved the rest to sprinkle in after it was pulled.

I know it’s not real carnitas (that’s why I said inspired) but man we’re they good!!!

got the seasoning from walmart
B03C78F7-64E3-48B5-9877-B8B54E9E4F40.jpeg

4 hours in the cook
2C869BCD-C8B4-407B-BFC9-E040F4C72447.jpeg

Done and ready to rest.
3E237D90-F5EA-4D1A-B97A-DB3DD5BF81C2.jpeg

Can’t forget the beans, fresh limes,and guacamole!!!
85054F8F-F612-4EA7-A1D5-355D4D78BEE9.jpeg

probably the best yet!!!

C028F598-4370-408C-A95F-E2BA19338BB7.jpeg

wish I could share!! Thanks for lookin.

Last edited:
Those look amazing! I have been wanting to try something similar to this were you brine the pork in orange juice with a quarted onion and a quartered lime over night then rub and smoke the butt. Saw a video on youtube from Malcolm Reeds how to bbq right

Reactions: Thomas The Tank
Those look amazing! I have been wanting to try something similar to this were you brine the pork in orange juice with a quarted onion and a quartered lime over night then rub and smoke the butt. Saw a video on youtube from Malcolm Reeds how to bbq right
I was gonna do the whole marinate process too, but decided to give this a try. The seasoning was fantastic on the pork. Definitely gave it a different twist to pulled pork.

Reactions: Motorboat40
Wow Tank, that looks great. I've braised cubed pork with my taco seasoning but never thought to do a whole smoked butt. Great idea!! If Tracy sees this she's gonna mandate that it go on the to-do list. She loves pulled pork and she loves tacos. What's not to love about this??

Robert

Wow Tank, that looks great. I've braised cubed pork with my taco seasoning but never thought to do a whole smoked butt. Great idea!! If Tracy sees this she's gonna mandate that it go on the to-do list. She loves pulled pork and she loves tacos. What's not to love about this??

Robert
You can do them before Tracy sees this and say it was just for her, lol! They were amazing and I will be doing them again with the same seasoning I got. I think the key was saving a bit of it to sprinkle and mix in after pulling.

You can do them before Tracy sees this and say it was just for her, lol!

Not a bad idea but I rarely undertake any of my culinary endeavors without running things past her. During the week I'll make command decisions and just put together a dinner but to smoke a whole pork butt is pretty much a weekend event. That'd be hard to sneak past her :emoji_astonished: Being that it was too late to get a butt going when I saw this, I am however following in your footsteps. Got a pound of pork loin out of the freezer and am gonna do tacos as I mentioned in my earlier response. This just sounds like a GREAT idea.

About time to start cookin'
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky