Care of smoker fire box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokerCoach82

Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Calling all Smokers!!! I'm new to this forum. I can't keep my firebox from rusting!!!! I sand and paint it at least twice a year and still it rusts. Can anyone give me the answer or this just the way it is

welcome from near stl mo! paint is a waste of time/money on a firebox IMO. too much heat. i've found that if you spray on some canola oil during your cooks, that'll protect it much better. the thickness of the steel will determine how often you need to do this -- like, when i had a char-griller, i had to spray it down every cook almost, but with this brazos (1/4" thick), i did that when i burned it in, and haven't had to do it again yet -- half dozen cooks or so since i got it. i guess that's the difference between a $500 cooker and a $1200 one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky