Capocollo - smoked

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
I am posting this late in the game. I started curing it in december and drying it Jan 13. It's stuffed in a hog middle cap. You can tell from the colour i smoked it for a little bit.
20180203_132914-1.jpg

Reactions: zwiller and idahopz
Like Dave said...people were drying meat way before Umai was invented.

As convenient as Umai is for drying meats i will not use a product that costs more than the meat itself.

I did kind of open the door for the Captain Obvious answers. What I should have asked was what set up were you using to control your aging? Do you have a curing chamber, are you hanging it in the fridge, or just going really old school and leaving it in a cave under your house? I'd like to make some capicola but don't have a chamber so I'd have to do it old school. I would like to know how yours turns out.
Atomic I agree with you on the price of Umai. I just can't justify it.

I am drying old school - no curing chamber. For smaller cuts the dry rim is of little concern - so they dry "naked".

For larger cuts i use some casing or if it's not too cold outside i run a humidifier. But that's mostly to help grow the good mold.

I am ok with the old school look but if you want perfect looking meats center to edge a curing chamber is a must.

Last edited:
I don't have a curing chamber or use umai, hence the less than perfect appearance. I am happy with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky