Can't wait... Yoder 640 ordered

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

strikerfired

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 7, 2016
I've been working with a Camp Chef 24 for several years now. It was my first smoker and has gotten a LOT of use. Before I fired it up the first time, I converted it from propane to natural gas (I had a tap on the side of my house already). Not happy with the temp swings and the dial adjustment system, I added insulation to the outside and added a pilot light system (had the gas blow out one time, so a pilot light was a safety issue for me after that) and a thermostat out of an RV that ran off of NG. The thermostat helped with swings a bit; but it's still a pain to control the temps during the odd weather we get in AZ - I was seeing variance of 30-40 degrees at times inside the smoker (between wind, temp swings, etc).

While it still works, it's just more work to keep it going than I want - I freely admit that a stick burner would be ideal, I like the idea of being able to set a temp and let the meat cook.

Spent years looking at Yoders, MAK, West of Memphis, RecTec, etc. Finally decided to order the 640 comp cart today.

I can't wait for this sucker to get in. Looking forward to using it for a very long time. Ended up picking up about 200# of BBQer pellets to go with it.

Congrats,pellet cooking to me isn't the same taste profile as other methods but not every thing has to taste like chicken :emoji_wink:

Well, after waking up way too early to tend to the smoker (3-13# briskets cooking for a friend who's son is having a baby shower today).... I'm willing to compromise :emoji_laughing:

I figure I'll do a few cooks with the manuf suggested pellets as a "shake down" and then work my way over to whatever brand I like.

On the other hand, surprisingly enough, my wife never did ask me what my plan was for my current smoker. :emoji_sunglasses:

Congrats,pellet cooking to me isn't the same taste profile as other methods but not every thing has to taste like chicken :emoji_wink:

I agree, but I find it just the right taste profile for all. We went to a low & slow in Adelaide, they were using the ys1500, tasty and juicy meats, after using timber and charcoal it wasn’t as heavy as I am used too, but liked it a lot!

Striker what’s it like ???

It is due to be delivered Thursday. Hope to have time to do a burn in Thursday or Friday and then get some meat on it over the weekend. Unfortunately I’ve been crazy busy at work so I may get delayed a week or so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky