CAN'T SMELL SMOKE IN MEAT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Electrics don't produce quite the same level of smoke flavor as an offset or a charcoal smoker. There are techniques and devices you can use to increase the smoke flavor, but it doesn't read like that's your issue.

It appears you cannot distinguish the wood used. Nose blindness aside, when I first started smoking, I could only distinguish hickory and mesquite. Everything else tasted the same. Chicken was my key to learning to distinguish the flavors of medium woods (fruit, oak, nut) in my WSM. Nowadays, though, I only use mesquite, hickory, oak, and cherry.
OK----THX--I have NEVER tried chicken. I will use that as a learning tool.

Electrics don't produce quite the same level of smoke flavor as an offset or a charcoal smoker. There are techniques and devices you can use to increase the smoke flavor, but it doesn't read like that's your issue.

It appears you cannot distinguish the wood used. Nose blindness aside, when I first started smoking, I could only distinguish hickory and mesquite. Everything else tasted the same. Chicken was my key to learning to distinguish the flavors of medium woods (fruit, oak, nut) in my WSM. Nowadays, though, I only use mesquite, hickory, oak, and cherry.
Chicken to learn with---got it! Thanks

Welcome from Ga!
Jake is 100% correct. I often find that the next day, the leftovers seem muc stronger in the smoke flavor. An article I read a while ago suggests once you are done cooking, go inside, take a shower and completely change clothing before eating. That may improve the flavor strength for you.
This Georgia Boy (also) thanks you

OK--when you quit laughing--I have a question--maybe a nose problem. I read that an electric smoker (which I have) does not help a lot smoke-wise. OK--here is dummy's question: Am I supposed to TASTE the smoke in the meat? (as oppose to smelling it in the meat). I love the smell of my cherry wood chips--my post oak chips. When I am finished smoking my meat and sit down to eat---I can not tell what I used--So it's me? My wife loves my cooks.. She also can't tell. Is it my smoker? I have a good chance to buy a WSM this week---now I am wondering about it.
I know I probably shouldn't have started this thread in Roll Call. It was my first post. I CAN NOT believe what a response I got to my inquiry. You guys (& gals) are absolutely wonderful to take so much of your time to help me/ UNREAL. AND----I got my question answered by reading all your responses. (except for the one that blamed Covid-19 lol)

And Thank You for the follow up. So many times, folks stop by, ask a question, get detailed answers and Never respond or follow up. Most of us came here knowing little about Smoking Meat. The people we met here Welcomed us like we Welcome You. Never hesitate to ask a question. You'll find the Search function useful too. Enjoy your time here and come back often...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky