canned chanterelle mushrooms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would love to hear about the the dehydration process I do have a regualar dehydrater, but it's never came out of the box. I bought it because we grow a lot of peppers every year and wanted to dehydrate some but have not gotten around to it. What are the settings and time frame to dehydrate and how do you store them once you have them dryed?

Baker2828;116105 said:
I would love to hear about the the dehydration process I do have a regualar dehydrater, but it's never came out of the box.

To maintain the flavor of mushrooms when drying it's best not to use heat. The preferred method is to use a large sealed plastic container, Tupperware or some knockoff there of. Airtight in any case. It mist be large enough to hold a screen or mesh container an inch or two above the bottom. The bottom of the container is filled with "Damp Rid" a moisture control product available at all Home Depot or Lowe's stores. The
mushrooms must NOT touch the Damp Rid, but are suspended above it on the screen. The lid should be sealed airtight on the container. In a day or two all the moisture in the mushrooms will have been drawn off by the drying agent. They will be dry and "woody" to the touch. They can then be stored in sealed jars or containers almost indefinitely.
Jimbo

A small amount wouldn't hurt you but it is not a food grade product. The idea is that the Damp Rid is never in actual contact with food. I have done this in two compartment Tupperware containers by putting the damp rid on one side and the mushrooms on the other. They don't contact each other but simply share the same airspace. Damp Rid is a hydoscopic chemical, it will literally suck the moisture out of anything in it's airspace.

You are not eating the Damp Rid, don't bring it in contact with what you are drying, just seal it in the same box.
Jimbo

Howdy Rich, the answer is no. Damp Rid is cheaper than gelatin anyway so that's a win-win. BTY, and right up your alley, you can also use this method for drying stars with water dextrin binders in damp climates. Less chance of driven in moisture that way.
Jimbo

i use damp rid ALL the time drying out mushrooms........i take a med. sized tupperware bowl............and some stiff wire screen.......put the damp rid in the bottom of the bowl.......cut the screen to sit above the damp rid couple inches.......and place shrooms on the wire grid......within a day or so......dried up

i will post some pics of it here in a sec

d88de

maybe.............
rolleyes.gif

d88de

ok.........pics of my mushroom drying setup.......i use this setup to dry morels...........

first up.......is the bowl i use......its just a med. sized tupperware plastic bowl

mushroombowlzl1.jpg

next is the two screens i use......this way i can dry more mushrooms that way.......

wirescreenscx2.jpg

this is the first screen set in the bowl

firstscreenxo7.jpg

and the second screen place inside

secondscreenef7.jpg

and the whole shabang put together........i let em go bout a day.....checking on em every so often

puttogetherfh6.jpg

this system werks GREAT......and you can reuse the damp rid by drying it out in the oven..........

hth

d88de

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky