Canned a couple things

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gardening hasn't been very good this year but I finally got enough tomatoes for canning.
Mostly Romas with a few small Opalkas and a handful of Better Boys.
tomatoes.jpg boiling.jpg water.jpg
peeled.jpg process.jpg cooling.jpg
I usually get 8 or 10 pints but things just aren't ripening together like they usually do.
Still have some green ones on the vines but the weather is getting hot again and the plants don't look happy.
Having some issues with the Olpakas getting end rot. Only the Olpakas. We'll see.
This is the first time I've done Romas and I was impressed how firm they stayed after blanching.
Over-blanched the Better Boys but they worked to fill in over the Romas and Opalkas to get headspace.
Juice only. I don't use water.

But that's not all, folks! There's Apple Butter!
recipe.jpg apples.jpg butter cooking.jpg apple butter.jpg
I didn't allow enough lee-way to account for weight loss from peeling and coring and had to add a couple more Apples.
It was still a tad short of what the recipe called for but it filled the jars to 1/4" headspace.
Thanks for looking, can on and I hope other's gardens did better than mine this year.
Have a wonderful day!
Dan

Real nice Dan, I used to make a lot of Apple Butter , Now I make Dutch Apple Pie Jam.....way too good on toast ice cream or just a spoon

Nice batch of Roma tomatoes, nice to have through the winter.

It's almost that time of year to get the pickles and other jams done. Another couple weeks here. Hopefully the humidity will go by than
so it's not so bad having the stove and oven on most of the days

David

Reactions: SmokyMose
Dan you almost made me cry here. I grew up with all fresh veggies and miss them terribly. Unfortunately we don't stand a chance growing stuff here with all the wildlife. As soon as something starts to grow it gets eaten. That's gonna change next year though. I wanted to build a greenhouse last Spring but Tracy had a LOT of yard projects she wanted done so she got those and I get my greenhouse next year. Cannot wait for that!! Depending on the yield I get I'd love to can some stuff, especially tomatoes.

Being that I absolutely love apple butter, I need to ask...does this process make them shelf stable without need for refrigeration? I'd think so but want to make sure before I start into making a batch.

Many thanks sir!!
Robert

.does this process make them shelf stable without need for refrigeration?
I would think so, Robert. I took it straight from Ball's canning book.
They were cooked and vacuum sealed like any other canning.
Rabbits got a few of my tomatoes this year like always.....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Tomatoes and apple souse looks great, Dan! I need to read Ball's canning book on the process.... You just inspire me! :emoji_wink:
Over estimate the Apples you need. The recipe called for "12 to 16" so I got 15. Could have used 17 or 18 but it worked out.

That pretty much describes my one try.
I've thought about just getting some store bought but I'm bound and determined to make my own.
Mom always said I inherited Dad's stubborn streak. I guess she was right...
I'm no expert by any means but my wife's 1st try at biscuits made for a good hockey game also! Keep trying! Sounds like you're overworking the dough = hockey pucks! She's really good at it now, so keep trying!

All looks good as far as canning goes... we're still waiting for our 1st maters, got planted late.

Ryan

There was a time not too long ago when I'd plant 60-80 tomato plants. I planted 8-10 different varieties and would can them, make salsa, sauce, etc. I miss that.

There was a time not too long ago when I'd plant 60-80 tomato plants. I planted 8-10 different varieties and would can them, make salsa, sauce, etc. I miss that.
Man that's a lot of tomatoes!! Dad used to do around 30 and even with Mom canning he still had enough to sell at a local market.
A produce stand I used to frequent got a lot of their tomatoes from South Carolina.
If you sold any I may have had some of yours.

Man that's a lot of tomatoes!! Dad used to do around 30 and even with Mom canning he still had enough to sell at a local market.
A produce stand I used to frequent got a lot of their tomatoes from South Carolina.
If you sold any I may have had some of yours.
Yes, it was a lot of tomatoes. I was obsessed with finding the perfect tomato for my tastes, never really did although Brandywine and Rutgers came close. Brandywine are a lower acid variety and Rutgers are higher acid. I gave away bags of them to my neighbors, friends, and family after I canned what I thought would be enough until the next year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky