Canadian Decoder-Ring (ReadyCure)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks. With regards to the 'labelling' of my photos and such, there may very-well be a better way of doing such.

A number of years ago, I was in an accident and now 'short term memory' is an issue unto itself. If I don't write something down, it never happened.

Hence why they are consecutively numbered as well, just so that I can go back (later in time) and see the progression of things.

Smoking starts tomorrow.

Here we go with today's update and festivities:
it, split:
9 Brisket Split.jpg

And then one half in the water, with the spices:
11 Spices added and bringing to slow boil.jpg

The other half Mustarded and Rubbed:
13 Pastrami Mustarded and Rubbed.jpg

In about 10 minutes I'll get a picture of it, on the smoker.

That is the temp, F.
The actual temp at the moment is -22.5F
With the wind that is blowing (on the smoker) the windchill effect is -33F.

The smoker inside temp is 170F, and the meat core temp is 116F.

That is the temp, F.
The actual temp at the moment is -22.5F
With the wind that is blowing (on the smoker) the windchill effect is -33F.

The smoker inside temp is 170F, and the meat core temp is 116F.

Damn. That's cold. I wouldn't leave the house unless to feed at that temp

By the looks of this latest picture, I have to open the top vent 'just a touch' more. I had it mostly closed because of the wind, but there's too much humidity raining down on the walls.

Update on the Corned Beef:
Been simmering "low and slow" for 5 hrs 30 mins, and it has a temp of 184F.
19 Corned Beef at 184F slow simmering for 5 hrs 30 mins.jpg

And, as a side-note regarding 'cold',,,, ya'll's "-40" and our "-40" are exactly the same temperature, right? Only place on the thermometer where they meet/match. So yeah, it's a bit chilly.

Here it is, 6 hours later, resting in 'the crutch' for a half-hour or so. It hit the 203F and I pulled it immediately.
22 Pastrami at 203F at 1205 am. 6 hours total.jpg

Ambient -25/-37
Smoker temp 255-360F
(had a slight 'heat' issue after removing the chip pan and the water dish)

Can't wait to open it up though, and try it.

Here is a pic of the Corned Beef that we'd rested for about a half-hour:
23 Corned Beef after resting, pulled out at 192F.jpg

Mission accomplished. Success. Happiness!
Here is the Pastrami after resting for 30 mins:
24 Pastrami after resting, pulled out at 203F.jpg

Neither myself nor My Lady have EVER had anything like this from a restaurant, or deli. It is absolutely EXCELLENT. Heck of a great starting point.... now lets see what the future brings, with practice!

Thank You ALL, for your help and support. Great things....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
You set the bar pretty high for future cures and smokes.

How was the saltiness?

And, as a side-note regarding 'cold',,,, ya'll's "-40" and our "-40" are exactly the same temperature, right? Only place on the thermometer where they meet/match. So yeah, it's a bit chilly.
And the mercury freezes, too. Seen that 3 times.

You set the bar pretty high for future cures and smokes.

How was the saltiness?

And the mercury freezes, too. Seen that 3 times.
Thank you for asking, as this is exactly a conversation I'd had with My Lady about an hour ago.

"Saltiness". It wasn't, at ALL. We both feel that it could be a bit 'more' as neither of us could really detect 'salt' in any way. I'm not at all saying the meat is/was bland. Because it was SO tasty and flavourful. But yeah, I'd definitely like to 'up' that a bit on my next go-round.

To which I'll add that next time, I'm going to do 2 briskets, and split them in half and use all 4 shelves in the smoker. For all that 'work' involved, might as well do such on a grand scale. Don't ever plan on buying any of either at the store/deli anymore.

Cured foods now are a completely new thing for me, and I'm REALLY wanting to run with this.

We have a big cold-smoker that I've been playing with the idea of turning it into a 'curing box' as well. (controlled humidity and temperature)

I've got more learning to do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky