Canadian Bacon Dry Cured (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Will I'm back some times people call me pita (pain in the a--) Today I bough 2 lions at Sam's Club still $1.68 lb. I have the TQ Brown Sugar and ready to try this. I have a Master Built 40" propane smoker any suggestions on your smoking schedule? I use cast iron pan in bottom to hold chips I get about 2 hours of smoke and usually get a good smoke ring in what I usually smoke. Thanks for your patients with me and hope to send pics when done.
I don't know anything about individual Gassers, but if you let me know what is the lowest smoker temp you can hold, I can make suggestions on your smoking schedule.

Bear

Hey Bear pita is back! I have the lion rub done in the bag and in the frig. I light my smoker and had on as low as the dial would go and once it heated up in about 1/2 hour it was just shy of 225 left on about 2 hours and it held the temperature. I have seen some say use a needle value but I believe the flame any lower would be a blow situation.  I guess I will just have to ride to PA and have the master smoke it.

Hey Bear pita is back! I have the lion rub done in the bag and in the frig. I light my smoker and had on as low as the dial would go and once it heated up in about 1/2 hour it was just shy of 225 left on about 2 hours and it held the temperature. I have seen some say use a needle value but I believe the flame any lower would be a blow situation.  I guess I will just have to ride to PA and have the master smoke it.
That's really high for your low. I think that needle valve would do the trick. I would look into it.

Meanwhile you could go with an AMNPS, without any heat for a few hours. Then get your Gasser to 225° or as low as you can, and take the loins to at least 145° IT, but no higher than 150° IT before pulling it.

Bear

Kind of what I thought you may suggest was to smoke and pull at 140 - 150 IT that's what I had been thinking too since I sent you my lowest degree reading to you. I always seem to get a 3/8 - 1/2 smoke ring with this smoker in the 11/2 hr. to 2 hr. smoking time that the chips last. the rub is working great drawing out the juice its looking good. Going to try and do some photos I'm not real good with computers may have to get my neighbor to help. Hey thanks for your patience and help its is greatly appreciated. My flame is so low now I think if I used the needle valve it would keep going out. May be able to crack door a little to. I use this smoker as an oven when doing pulled pork sales for our Lions club. We get the pulled pork in large chaffing pans and I heat it up in this smoker the thing will get up to over 350.

Kind of what I thought you may suggest was to smoke and pull at 140 - 150 IT that's what I had been thinking too since I sent you my lowest degree reading to you. I always seem to get a 3/8 - 1/2 smoke ring with this smoker in the 11/2 hr. to 2 hr. smoking time that the chips last. the rub is working great drawing out the juice its looking good. Going to try and do some photos I'm not real good with computers may have to get my neighbor to help. Hey thanks for your patience and help its is greatly appreciated. My flame is so low now I think if I used the needle valve it would keep going out. May be able to crack door a little to. I use this smoker as an oven when doing pulled pork sales for our Lions club. We get the pulled pork in large chaffing pans and I heat it up in this smoker the thing will get up to over 350.
I like my smoke ring too!  I taste by look before I taste by tasting.  (it only looks good no taste difference, but I like it!)  I haven't used my Kamado since May when I got the MES40G1.  But the few briquettes in the chip tray with the AMNPS gives me a good ring.  You can get a ring in any smoker.  It's optional to many. 

-Kurt

Anybody curing pork to make CB, don't be looking for a Smoke Ring-----The cure will make the whole thing look like a Smoke Ring.

Those who like meat because it looks good might as well eat the pictures in the magazines & Grocery Food Flyers. They look great, but they're all show too.

You won't find any Smoke Rings in any of my Step by Steps, including this one.

Also, FYI---My MES Books say :"Do not use Charcoal in chip burner".

Bear

Last edited:

Anybody curing pork to make CB, don't be looking for a Smoke Ring-----The cure will make the whole thing look like a Smoke Ring.

Those who like meat because it looks good might as well eat the pictures in the magazines & Grocery Food Flyers. They look great, but they're all show too.

You won't find any Smoke Rings in any of my Step by Steps, including this one.

Also, FYI---My MES Books say :"Do not use Charcoal in chip burner".

Bear
It is a full muscle chemical smoke ring from the nitrogen/nitrite/nitrate.  Just like the gas from the Co/No charcoal, wood etc.but it's not being cooked. So it goes all the way through over time in the fridge.   Instead of stopping at 170* during the low and slow cooking. 

-Kurt

It is a full muscle chemical smoke ring from the nitrogen/nitrite/nitrate.  Just like the gas from the Co/No charcoal, wood etc.but it's not being cooked. So it goes all the way through over time in the fridge.   Instead of stopping at 170* during the low and slow cooking. 

-Kurt
Exactly!!

My point being when it's cured, no ring will be seen, because it has the same color all the way through, so a Smoke Ring discussion isn't needed in a Canadian Bacon Step by Step.

This thread is to help people to make their own Canadian Bacon.

Thanks,

Bear

Hey Bear you need to add in your instructions to rotate the meat in the frig daily.
Thanks for letting me know I didn't include that in this Step by Step.

I thought I had that noted in all of my Curing step by steps.

I edited it, and now it's in there.

Not to make excuses, but this one was delayed because Mrs Bear was in the Hospital getting a Pacemaker, right in the middle of this process.

So I might have not been myself at the time.

Bear

Bear!! (God that odd to say, I get called that a lot!!) Figured I bump this thread and let you know I just started 26 pounds of Canadian back bacon!! Now for the anticlimactic 10 to 14 day wait... ;( Aint you figured a way to do this quicker?? ;) just kidding.

Love this simple recipe by the way, I do add sometimes, but this is simply... Bacon! Well done!

Bear!! (God that odd to say, I get called that a lot!!) Figured I bump this thread and let you know I just started 26 pounds of Canadian back bacon!! Now for the anticlimactic 10 to 14 day wait... ;( Aint you figured a way to do this quicker?? ;) just kidding.

Love this simple recipe by the way, I do add sometimes, but this is simply... Bacon! Well done!
Thank You Bubba!!!

26 pounds?!?!   That's about equal to the most CB I ever did in one smoke (3 full loins minus a couple pounds for Mrs Bear's Crockpot).

I'm glad you like my Step by Steps!!

Sorry about the Wait. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bear

Bear just washed the meat and did 2 slice for salt taste test one for me and one for MS was great taste like piece cured ham cant wait to smoke it Thursday..

AWSOME  AWSOME  AWSOME

Wow Bear well worth the wait I had to slice some this morning by hand had not got slicer out yet. Made sandwiches granddaughter (6 year old) already put in order for tomorrow morning.

AWSOME  AWSOME  AWSOME

Wow Bear well worth the wait I had to slice some this morning by hand had not got slicer out yet. Made sandwiches granddaughter (6 year old) already put in order for tomorrow morning.
That's Great !!
icon14.gif

I'm real glad everybody liked it !!

I'll be watching for your thread----If you need help posting it, give me a Yell.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky