Can you name this cut of Pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Labeled as "cutlets", I can find them at my grocery store in Minnesota regularly. As a south Dakota native, I grew up eating these delicious, tender morsels.

I prepare 3 lbs with a dredge in flour, seasoned heavy with onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and a large pinch of cayenne, then brown on both sides. transfer to a roaster, deglaze the pan with a can or 2 of chicken stock, then stir in 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, pour it all over the "cutlets", then bake at 325 for 1-1.5 hours. Put peeled and halved potaotes on top, and you have a one pot meal. Awesome stuff, I say-I say. 
biggrin.gif

This is a staple here in Iowa and parts of the midwest. We call them mini pork cutlets, pork temple cutlets or pork medallions. I cook them as follows: first take them out of the package. Wash them in cold water. Pat them dry with a papertowel. Then season them with any seasoning you like. Let them rest for about 5 minutes (unless you are in a big hurry). Then dredge a handful at a time, in seasoned/plain flour. Then, I heat the pan, on medium to medium high, gently drop each one at a time in bacon grease or whatever you have on hand (please, definitely, by any means, NO FISH GREASE!); fry for about 5 minutes or so,until browned. (Not pink on the inside).
When finished frying all of the meat, I make a milk or white gravy, put the meat back in for a few minutes. I serve them with rice, boiled potatoes, corn/green beans, salad or coleslaw, buttered bread/biscuits.
Boy, you talk about meal. :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky