Can someone give me a great vinegar based basting sauce for chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dondr8per

Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hello all, I hope you are safe and healthy! I am looking to cook two Spatchcock chickens tonight on the BGE. I would love a vinegar based basting sauce. Any great recipe recommendations?

Thanks!

Hello all, I hope you are safe and healthy! I am looking to cook two Spatchcock chickens tonight on the BGE. I would love a vinegar based basting sauce. Any great recipe recommendations?

Thanks!
I don't know about basting chicken, dondr, especially with vinegar. I never do because it's hard enough to keep the skin from getting "rubbery" in a smoker. Others may disagree :-). I'll sometimes do a little brush of some kind of sauce at the end....
What sort of cooker are you using and what temps are you planning to run?
By the way, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I love making Roadside Chicken or the Rick Bayless Mexican variation of it

Reactions: dondr8per
I don't know about basting chicken, dondr, especially with vinegar. I never do because it's hard enough to keep the skin from getting "rubbery" in a smoker. Others may disagree :-). I'll sometimes do a little brush of some kind of sauce at the end....
What sort of cooker are you using and what temps are you planning to run?
By the way, welcome to the forum!
Thank you! you guys were a big help with the 17lb pork shoulder we did yesterday on the smoker. I was planning to cook on a Big Green Egg today for the chicken.

I love making Roadside Chicken or the Rick Bayless Mexican variation of it

This looks very interesting, thank you! I am interested to see any other ideas too. We all certainly have a lot of time to cook. I just got a big order of meat from Crowd Cow yesterday.

Here where I live our roadside chicken is a simple mix. Break it down to suit the recipe is for 100 1/2's which I've done 500 plus at a time.

1 gal. water
1 gal. vinegar (apple cider not white)
1 lb box salt
1 cup black pepper
1 1/2 cup poultry seasoning
2 cups vegetables oil
Mix well
Baste chicken about every 15 minutes.
This was done over a charcoal pit that would hold 250 1/2's at a time.

Warren

Here where I live our roadside chicken is a simple mix. Break it down to suit the recipe is for 100 1/2's which I've done 500 plus at a time.

1 gal. water
1 gal. vinegar (apple cider not white)
1 lb box salt
1 cup black pepper
1 1/2 cup poultry seasoning
2 cups vegetables oil
Mix well
Baste chicken about every 15 minutes.
This was done over a charcoal pit that would hold 250 1/2's at a time.

Warren
Love it! Thank you!

Once again, everyone was very helpful! Thank you!

126C85F3-5D86-436B-8624-81D19A06A64C.jpeg

Hmmm... Never heard of vinegar based basting souse for chicken before.
dondr, looking at your chicken I just experienced some raise in my appetite.... Now I need to get some chicken... not exactly an easy task nowadays....
Warren, thanks for the recipe!

Cornell Chicken Barbecue Sauce
  • 1 cup cooking oil
  • 1 pint cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons salt*
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 egg

Hmmm... Never heard of vinegar based basting souse for chicken before.
dondr, looking at your chicken I just experienced some raise in my appetite.... Now I need to get some chicken... not exactly an easy task nowadays....
Warren, thanks for the recipe!
It was fantastic. I got the spatchcock chickens at Crowd Cow. A lovely delivery in these days and times. Use this link to get a discount if you would like - https://www.crowdcow.com/l/ua3c405a4

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky