Can I use my Pit Boss (touch screen controls) while raining?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diversification

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 19, 2021
I assume this is a stupid question, and I shouldn't try it, but I don't know what I don't know. Does anyone have experience using a Pit Boss that has one of the touchscreen control panels while it's raining? I was thinking maybe I could rig up something to cover the panel, but I'm not really sure what I'd use.

I know I need to avoid getting the pellets wet, so I figured I'd use an umbrella while stirring.

My primary concerns are:
1. Getting water into the electronics somehow.
2. Having the rain somehow trigger the shutdown sequence in the middle of the cook without me noticing (overnight cook)

Any thoughts, suggestions and tips are appreciated!

Yes they are water resistant so you will be fine. I wouldn't store it in the rain without a cover though. Whatever you decide to do get some kind of external probe setup with a high/low temp alarm. Rain is only one of the issues that can go wrong. What if your power blinks during then night? Be prepared

I’ve used traeger in the rain without issues, I could see something going wrong, but I’ve always just rolled the dice snd it’s worked.

Reactions: diversification
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I think perhaps I'll protect the plug connection, and then give it a go! Hopefully it won't rain too much!

I have the Pit Boss Copperhead and the manual says not to use it in the rain. I know plenty of people ignore those manuals, but they do warn against it.

By any chance have an E Z UP ?? ... BIG umbrella ?? Could always rig a small tarp on 4 corner poles. Tied to stakes in the ground ... ANY kind of shelter will help ...
Good thoughts, but I unfortunately don't have anything the wind wouldn't take.

I'd get a "pop-up" shelter or at least a garden umbrella. And I'd put a cooking pan upside down over the hopper so it's a "roof" for both the pellets and the controller. Put a brick on it if it could blow away.
Most commercial controllers like this are not rain- or wet-rated. It would have a continuous membrane over the front if it was and most customers prefer more tactile feel to the controls. And the membranes tend to get brittle and rip outdoors.
even if it the controller has a cover or waterproof controls, it would still need a waterproof gasket where mounted in the frame. My experience with mass-produced chinese products such as this is that even if the gasket is included, it's twisted or cocked so it's not doing it's intended job.

I'd get a "pop-up" shelter or at least a garden umbrella. And I'd put a cooking pan upside down over the hopper so it's a "roof" for both the pellets and the controller. Put a brick on it if it could blow away.
Most commercial controllers like this are not rain- or wet-rated. It would have a continuous membrane over the front if it was and most customers prefer more tactile feel to the controls. And the membranes tend to get brittle and rip outdoors.
even if it the controller has a cover or waterproof controls, it would still need a waterproof gasket where mounted in the frame. My experience with mass-produced chinese products such as this is that even if the gasket is included, it's twisted or cocked so it's not doing it's intended job.
So this isn't a tactile screen on the Laredo, it's a hard plastic touchscreen. And it does have a gasket as per customer service (and my own observation.)

I did get bold yesterday and just let it sit outside in the rain. The rain only came down for about 30 minutes to an hour, but for a bit of that time, it came down hard. I'm happy to report that it was completely fine.

I do like the idea about the container on the hopper / controls. I'll do that next time if I suspect it'll rain. The awning was actually something I did about a week ago. The wind almost broke the thing, because it's not some super heavy duty thing that's intended for super windy days, so I'm just gonna skip it from here on out.

Reactions: bill1 and TNJAKE
FYI, I've had my Pit Boss Laredo going in the rain multiple times since posting this thread, and it has worked just fine without any sort of covering. I appreciate all the folks who chimed in. The touch controls didn't have an issue either.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky