Can I ....Should I...Would you???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

topcop821

Original poster
May 10, 2013
Did some chicken thighs in an apple water brine then apple juice in smoker....oh yeah!!  So now my curious mind is thinking...how about orange juice?  Is that to acidic or would that throw a nice flavor into the chicken.

What other flavors have been used with success?

I've never used OJ but heck you never know til you try!
I don't think it would be too acidic but I would probably dilute it a bit so that is wasn't overpowering.

Pernil chicken is good. Do a search for Pernil to get the marinade. I have used orange juice on chicken, also POG passion orange guava juice and it is good. Pineapple juice is good too.

Wow Case, I never thought of pernil chicken, I've done it with pork a few times and it is fabulous.

Here is the recipe I use:

I use Naranja Agria (bitter orange juice) but it's hard to find so here is a substitute:

Naranja Agria Substitute:
1 grapefruit
1 orange
1 lime
1 tsp orange zest
Squeeze all the juice out of the fruits into a bowl, add the orange zest and set in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then strain out all the zest and pulp and you have it.

Now to make the marinade for the Pernil, take the juice you just made and pour it into a blender with 12 cloves of garlic and pulse it a few times. You don’t want to liquefy the garlic you want it a little chunky. To this add:
1 TBS coarse grind black pepper
1 TBS kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
Mix it up real good and that’s all there is to it.

Wow Case, I never thought of pernil chicken, I've done it with pork a few times and it is fabulous.

Here is the recipe I use:

I use Naranja Agria (bitter orange juice) but it's hard to find so here is a substitute:

Naranja Agria Substitute:
1 grapefruit
1 orange
1 lime
1 tsp orange zest
Squeeze all the juice out of the fruits into a bowl, add the orange zest and set in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then strain out all the zest and pulp and you have it.

Now to make the marinade for the Pernil, take the juice you just made and pour it into a blender with 12 cloves of garlic and pulse it a few times. You don’t want to liquefy the garlic you want it a little chunky. To this add:
1 TBS coarse grind black pepper
1 TBS kosher salt
1 tsp cumin
Mix it up real good and that’s all there is to it.

It's good on shrimp and fish too!

Pernil chicken is good. Do a search for Pernil to get the marinade. I have used orange juice on chicken, also POG passion orange guava juice and it is good. Pineapple juice is good too.
Yeah...I have tried orange juice and pineapple juice as well.  I have tried a mix of apple and orange which was good and also tried a mix of orange and pineapple.  Sounds strange but it came out good.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky