Can anything be done about to much smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forest walker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Upstate NY
Amnps got to much air and I think my brisket got to much smoke. Can anything be done. I can scrape off the fat cap when it comes out if it will make a difference. Has kind of a tangy/bitter taste to the bark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it just on the bark or in the meat. You might have just burned your rub. If its too much smoke in the meat not much you can do, but I'm surprised the amazn generator could oversmoke a brisket.

I'm having trouble with an over-smoke form the AMNPS as well...doesn't seem to be a common problem...that doesn't mean that it isn't possible, just not likely.

Did you make any changes to the dry rub, or is this a recipe you've used before without issues? Sometimes, changes in the rub ingredients can go the wrong direction.

Eric

More salt can add more of a tart/tang to the flavor profile...it's a balancing act...I try to use less salt, and add enhancement with other spices. With beef brisket, it has a natural strong flavor...simpler seasoning usually will do the job for most folks taste. SPOG (salt, pepper, onion, garlic) is a good starting point. A ratio of 1:1:1.5:2 is where I'm finding a really nice balance...depends on if I lean trim or leave more of the fat-cap on. Sometimes I toss on extra kosher salt on the fat-cap only, then apply the SPOG. Extra salt seems to help break-down the fat for better rendering, but won't end up on the meat when it's finished.

Eric

Reactions: cunnart
Huh...well, I guess it is true what is said about being around the smoke...it messes up your sense of taste and smell...might have been playin' with you on this one, too.

I'll wait for the view. Enjoy your brisket dinner!!!

Eric

deba7yga.jpg
8 hrs in

I made a BBQ sauce that was equal parts sweet baby rays and dr pepper, and one that was equal parts sweet baby rays and grape crush, the dr pepper one was a big hit. As we're the burnt ends

That's a great looking brisket, and a nice spread!!! Looks and sounds like all went well.

I can't help but to assume you're not stopping any time soon...

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky