Camping anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It's been a few years. My wife is more of a hotel gal.

4runner_camping.jpg

Our ‘90 Westfalia which spends a lot of it's time along the Calif coast, fishing and camping.

View attachment 664106
those are real nice.

We had a 87 Dodge Roadtrek for a couple years. Bought it to drive to Florida when my little girl Gabby ( my avatar ) was to old and sick to leave at the babysitters for us to go away without them so we bought van and took them with us. Fun trip, and Gabby loved to go for drives. ( miss that little girl )

Monas July 2011 157.JPG
1682848088595.jpeg

1682848121220.jpeg

David

We rough it many ways……

For the harder to get places…..central Idaho Mts…. It was 20 deg in the am…..the buddy heater didn’t cut it…ie you put things in the cooler to keep them from freezing…..
ACD07770-788F-49C9-A4F9-9D10E01C727A.jpeg

For when you can spread it out….northern Oregon coast…you can hear the waves from camp….
29B99B72-0332-4404-B611-AA7C93FD33BD.jpeg

Or when you want your own personal cabin……
CCFC222E-6A4B-457F-AF91-2AD314DE43A5.jpeg

Oh with that view……that is free! You would never know it’s called Hells Canyon ie the deepest canyon in North America…….
A5031127-DD49-4770-AAAB-A2A3D5677C54.jpeg

These gets you this view not so much a free view….there is a cost to get it….lol Eastern Idaho Mts…..
EB123F96-F477-4892-87C0-2CBC50900E12.jpeg

And lastly when you need a cabin for a purpose….ie for cooling meat in the trees….southern Idaho Mts….
C2B19596-545C-4A9B-B106-33A4F0FA26AF.jpeg

We have had this tent for a long time….. it’s my fav way to camp! Even over the trailer….

PS Jake we have a KOA membership as well we use if often for the trailer!

Glad to see so many of you taking advantage of the great outdoors, many nice methods y'all have!

We have been camping for our entire lives together, the most memorable have always involved extreme weather.

We do hike in camping, "luxury" car camping and most recently we have been taking out our custom built Encamp mini.

20230331_201432.jpg

20230211_143754.jpg

But when we really want to rough it we take a 7 hour drive up north to the mountains and spend a few weeks at our cabin. We tent camped on the land until we finally built and then it took another 10 years before we had a water well drilled and electricity ran out to it. Many fond memories, now we just pull up, throw a light switch, toss wood in the stove and relax while dinner cooks in the smoker.

HUNT0028_zpsf08c99b2.JPG

Oh and coffee with the deer :)

Glad to see so many of you taking advantage of the great outdoors, many nice methods y'all have!

We have been camping for our entire lives together, the most memorable have always involved extreme weather.

We do hike in camping, "luxury" car camping and most recently we have been taking out our custom built Encamp mini.

View attachment 664248
View attachment 664249

But when we really want to rough it we take a 7 hour drive up north to the mountains and spend a few weeks at our cabin. We tent camped on the land until we finally built and then it took another 10 years before we had a water well drilled and electricity ran out to it. Many fond memories, now we just pull up, throw a light switch, toss wood in the stove and relax while dinner cooks in the smoker.

View attachment 664250

Oh and coffee with the deer :)
lovely.

Nice get away. What part of pa is this?
Pike county town of Lackawaxen (or as the kids call it lack of action) The community is Masthope, has 2 pools, ski mountain, bar, restaurant, horse stables, ATV/Cross country ski trails and a motor boat lake in it..

Pike county town of Lackawaxen (or as the kids call it lack of action) The community is Masthope, has 2 pools, ski mountain, bar, restaurant, horse stables, ATV/Cross country ski trails and a motor boat lake in it..
Sounds like lots of action to me. If you need a hand getting the stickers off the top windows let me know I’ll help ya out.

Sounds like lots of action to me. If you need a hand getting the stickers off the top windows let me know I’ll help ya out.
haha that was in early 2020 after it was just finished, finished the basement this past year. Where n PA are you?

basement.jpeg

pool
pool.jpg

Where in Florida? We winter in the Orlando area. Start in late November to make the lower FL gathering in December.
Fuel,
We spend about 2 months at a place called Canopy Oaks. lower FLa gathering is too early for our schedule. The Its out in the middle of no where sort of. Its about 30 minutes outside of Lake Wales. This camping is still new to us so we like to explore a bit on the way out of Florida. This past winter we spent 3 days at Flamingo campground in the Everglades National Park. 4 days at Vero beach, wanting to see rocket launch (close by Cape), but no rockets this time. We finished up at a unique camp near St. Augustine. North Beach, its on highway 1A1. Next winter on our return trip we will be spending time near Fort Myers and return to North Beach. Possibly we could meet up. I do take along some essential cooking tools

RG

IMG_0621.jpg

Last edited:
We've done everything form extended trips living out of big sea kayaks or a canoe to longish backpacking trips. We have an assortment of tents from super lightweight to big cabin tents but if we're not backpacking or canoeing we usually take our camper along.

We might do some Dutch oven cooking with coals or do some BBQ with a Weber kettle or, occasionally, a little Cookshack Smokette if we have electricity. I make custom reflector ovens occasionally so roasts and baked good made in them can sometimes be found on the table.

And often when using the camper we'll do an overnight backpacking loop returning the camper.

We used to backpack, canoe and camp in some of the wilder areas of the Adirondacks but it's been several years since we did that.

Having sold our NY farm six years ago and moved to our Pinnacle, North Carolina place full time we mostly stay at US Forest Service or Corp of Engineers campgrounds in either the Virginia or North Carolina mountains or some of the bigger impoundment lakes like Kerr Scott, Kerr Lake or Philpott Lake in VA and NC when using the camper.

And our red-tick coonhound, Rosie, has been camping since she was eight weeks old on a winter tent camping trip so she' right at home on the road or trail.

20221115_074015.jpg

Pretty fancy for an old retired GI.....

20221115_094252.jpg

And Rosie, falling asleep sitting up and awaiting her blanket so she can lie down. She got addicted to blankets on her first camping trip and 5 years later she'll moan and groan until she's covered up. This is her a year or two ago in our old camper.

20221013_082924.jpg

Ahh, this is more like. If she has to be inside this is her preferred way to do it.

20221009_094707.jpg

We're headed to Hurricane campground in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in the Virginia highlands next week. Depending on the weather I'm using either a smoker or a camp style Dutch oven to make a small ribeye roast on that trip. We'll be doing some day hikes on sections of the Appalachian Trail, the Virginia Highland Horse Trail and others that week.

Had a great weekend camping. Had a few bites, but didn't catch any fish. In the evening it was cool enough to enjoy the firepit. Everything worked properly on the RV.

IMG_20230506_132438934_HDR.jpg

And. We had perfect WiFi. The antennas are on the pole next to the RV!

Looks like a nice area Steve. Glad you enjoyed yourselfs.

Chris

Reactions: Steve H
Good deal Steve glad you had a good time
Thanks! It was very relaxing.

Looks like a nice area Steve. Glad you enjoyed yourselfs.

Chris
Thanks Chris! It is a really nice campground. We're going back in Sept.

I’ve often said that owning a motor home is like a giant game of whack-a-mole so for me it’s extra special when you go out and everything works as it should.
Lol! Very true! It shares the same slogan as BOAT. Brake out another thousand!! If there was a fault to bring up. It would be me fat fingering the thermostat before we went to bed. Then Ann waking me up around 11:00 pm saying it is too hot. I bumped the dial. And set the heat to 80 degrees! Oops!

Very nice Steve , like said . Nice when the first run everything works as should
Nice set up, love campfires after a good day.

David
Thanks David. And it was nice to have a stress free vaca!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky