Campania Salami (Orange Zest, Fennel, Garlic)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
not trying to contradict but It wasn’t tart or sour at all. Glad to send a sample out to anyone who wants one ..

Even better. Exactly my point (in the edit/addition on the last page). Safe and tasty. Success!

Thank you for the offer to send out samples. I'm up to my knees in my own salami these days so I'll pass on your offer. Glad that worked out for you.

BTW - which sugar did you add in your mix. Dextrose or Sucrose?

So...the Compania salami has lost 30% as of today. I have been watching this one closely..for several reasons. Firstly, this hog was not fed the proper diet for good salami production. I was told the pigs were fed garden waste and when no garden waste was available, they were fed commercial pig feed protein pellets. Well, this pig must have eaten quite a bit of protein pellets...as this is the fourth salami attempt with this pig and for the fourth time the salami has produced fat out. It is not due to production temp. nor methods; this is 100% the diet of the pig which produced bad fat for salami production.

Here is a picture up close of the salami...you can see the casing separation and fat coating the casing.
IMG_20210512_114446.jpg

Fat out started around 12% weight loss and coated the entire outside of the salami. At 30% weight loss, the salami is still too soft and does not have a good bind.

The slice...
IMG_20210512_114530.jpg

This will be the last salami attempt using this pig. It is just not going to work. I'll be making fresh sausages with the rest....brats, Italian, etc....

So disappointed. But lesson learned. Now I know what they mean when they say the pig has to be fed the right diet for salami production....

I will buy a boston butt double pack and trim out the lean meat. I will use the free range grass fed heritage hog fat I get from my butcher and I will make this again...

I will pull and discard these salami as they are not worth saving.

That is a shame! All that work and its attributed to lousy pork. I've never seen fat out like that.....

Sorry to hear about the results ! I guess as long as we all learn from collective mistakes , maybe it makes for a better future !?

Hey Inda - what exactly happens in a fat out? Why does the fat end up coating or migrating to the exterior?

The diet of the pig affects the fat. I can't remember if it is too much saturated or unsaturated fat though; but basically the starter culture can break it down too easily and it turns to liquid, thus greasing out and coating the salami.

Same greasing out happens with severe fat smear, but that is a different cause.

The diet of the pig affects the fat. I can't remember if it is too much saturated or unsaturated fat though; but basically the starter culture can break it down too easily and it turns to liquid, thus greasing out and coating the salami.

Same greasing out happens with severe fat smear, but that is a different cause.
Good answer - thanks! From what I remember, using too much soft fat (non-back fat) produces similar results.

Last edited:
Good answer - thanks! From what I remember, using too soft fat (non-back fat) produces similar results.
There are many salami that are made with soft fat in Italy. It varies from region to region. Most spreadable type salami use soft fat as part of the mix. Finocchiona made in Tuscany uses soft fat as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky