Camp chef xxl vertical

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
Gonna order one today, 12 week waiting time. Mainly for sausage and jerky, but if it does a brisket, thats ok too. New model has a pid controller and wi-fi... All reveiws say + - 5 degrees and an even temp in the large cabinet. Whos running one? Thx
Screenshot_20201228-084313_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201228-084205_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I have a MB vertical pellet machine and you can find lots of posts here from the PB camp. I like that this has taller legs than most. It has plenty of grates making it easier to create a smoke labyrinth so the smoke doesn't go straight out the stack. Without mods (which tend to negate the set and forget benefit of pellets) pellet machines don't give much in the way of strong smoke flavor although some are happy just adding a smoker tube or two but again that's something else you have to attend to. This appears wide enough to do most cuts of meat and of course the vertical format gives much more total grill area than a pellet grill.

I got one in early July of this year( right before the new PID models were released) I absolute adore this unit. I can load it up to smoke a bunch of meats or even just a single Try Tip and it performs awesome. It does hold temps really good, my suggestion is to experiment with different brands of pellets and to keep up on the ash cleanup. That will help it run consistent .

Attachments

• 61644724643__99AC23DA-F958-4C6F-BEE3-84B55B8F58D2.JPG
    61644724643__99AC23DA-F958-4C6F-BEE3-84B55B8F58D2.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2902.jpg
    IMG_2902.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3108.jpg
    IMG_3108.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2905.jpg
    IMG_2905.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: bill1 and rippper
I love my XXL. I don't use it as much as my CC DLX, but for bigger cooks and bigger cuts it's great. Because I'm such a gear nut I bought the couple extra racks from CC to fill it to capacity should the need arise and I have the cover and the blanket. Mine holds temp really well, I even verified the stock probes against my Inkbird and they were within a couple degrees of each other. One of these days I will probably upgrade the controller to the newer WiFi PID unit but for now it works great right out of the box. They give you sausage hooks with it as well.

Reactions: bill1 and rippper
Ordered it yesterday, 599.00. Gonna be about 12 weeks. Local store had one in stock for the same price, but the older version, thinking the pid will be worth the wait. Got 4 lbs of "bloody mary" jerky on the camp chef dxl right now...

Reactions: bill1
...Got 4 lbs of "bloody mary" jerky on the camp chef dxl...
Good for you Ripper. I hadn't realized you had a DXL pellet grill already. Tell CampChef you deserve a discount as a repeat customer! Seriously, you're a good emissary for their brand.

So how many others have more than one pellet machine, in partic, a vertical "smoker" and horiz "grill"? I chose a vertical, thinking it was one or the other, but you're opening new vistas in my thinking! A rotisserie turkey in a narrow vertical is a real challenge. :emoji_sunglasses:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky