Camp Chef Upgraded PID Controller/temp swings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oquela

Original poster
Nov 15, 2020
Hi all,
First post ever, but longtime reader. I recently upgraded the controller on 3 year old CampChef DLX pellet smoker to a Camp Chef Gen 2 PID controller. What I noticed immediately was my first cook with the controller (St. Louis ribs) were done in under 2 hours although I set the temp at 225 as usual. The ribs were just barely salvaged-being quite crispy and charred at the bottom.

Later, after it cooled down, I set the 2 built in probes at grate level, as well as an additional 2 probes from my ThermoPro. I cleaned the internal temp probe from the Camp Chef, vacuumed the interior, and fired up the pellet grill again, set the temperature at 250. The grill temp reading averaged 244-246, according to it's internal temp probe, which is within PID specs, I think. Here were my readings on the 4 wired probes:
Facing the grill:
Probe 1 (Top/rear Right) : 388
Probe 2 (bottom/front Right): 374
Probe 3 (Top/rear Left) : 360
Probe 4 (bottom/front Left) : 351

That's 120-138 hotter at the grill surface, which explains the 2 hour charred ribs. What do you think I should try next? Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: kruizer
Sounds like the temp probe should have been changed when you changed the board

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll swap out the temp probe first, and contact CC if it doesn't fix it.

Thanks Mike243 and kruizer. Problem solved! I swapped out the old internal temp probe, and put in a new one. These were the new readings at the grate/grill level for a set temp of 250 (grill internal now avg. 260 degrees at the built in temp probe)
Probe 1 (Top/rear Right) : 252
Probe 2 (bottom/front Right): 256
Probe 3 (Top/rear Left) : 258
Probe 4 (bottom/front Left) : 258

A diff. of 2-8 degrees from my set temp, versus what I had which was 110-138 degrees hotter than set temp. Thanks again!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky