Camp Chef SmokePro Lux or REC TEC RT 700?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Looking to replace my smoker and I've decided that a good pellet grill seems like the way to go for me. I've got it narrowed down to the Camp Chef SmokePro Lux and the Rec Tec RT 700, although the more I read (and watch video's on Youtube) I'm really starting to lean towards the REC TEC RT 700. I'd love to hear people's thoughts between the two before I pull the trigger.

So I started smoking on a Masterbuilt MES 30 several years ago with an A-Maze-N pellet smoker. It worked fairly well for me but I soon wished I had gotten the bigger MES 40, and even with the A-Maze-N pellet smoker I found that it needed to be monitored as the smoke would some times go out, or would end up smoking too much. So the good news is that is no longer an issue. The bad news... it's not an issue anymore because the smoker died LOL. I relocated and bought a new house about a year ago and tried firing up the smoker last summer and found that it did not survive the move. I couldn't afford to replace it last year but it is finally time.

So What I like about the Camp Chef is the squared back of the cooking chamber, the mechanism to empty the hopper, and the easy ash clean out. On the other hand, the more I have read about the REC TEC the more I am thinking this is the way to go based on the 403 stainless cooking chamber, PID temp control with 5 degree increments, 40 lb, hopper, the available REC TEC app to use with the grill probes, and of course the 6 year warranty and reputation for superior customer service. I also really like the optional sear kit and front shelf which are a must IMO.

So I think I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the REC TEC RT 700 with the cover, sear kit, folding front shelf and a pair of grill mats, but would love to hear thoughts and opinions from anyone who owns the REC TEC or the Camp Chef SmokePro Lux, or any other large pellet grill they feel is superior to either of these two.

I am rather biased as I recently chose to buy the Camp Chef. My choice was made after months of research which I am not going to detail here except to say I am very pleased with my choice.

I’ve owned many smokers over the years. I took delivery on th RT700 last week. The first cook was yesterday. It’s an impressive machine. Look for my post in the pork and pellet smoker areas. B

I am biased as an owner of the 680 but it's been very good to me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 700 with the stainless, wifi, warranty, customer service and ceramic ignitor.

You probably can't go wrong with the Camp Chef either but I feel the 700 is a notch above.

No idea but awesome guitar! That looks vintage to me. Gibson man myself.

<Off Topic> Thanks, and good eye... It's the crown jewel of my collection, an insanely clean and all original 1962 Gibson Les Paul SG Standard with the rare Ebony Block tail piece. Guitars are another hobby of mine.

And now back to the debate... REC TEC RT 700 or Camp Chef SmokePro LUX?

Reactions: zwiller
I really dont think you can go wrong with either one of them. I was between the rectec and Campchef Woodwind when I bought mine and in the end I went with Camp Chef just due to the ton of positive reviews I read. The RecTec 700 has quite a few more features then the CampChef does, I think it really will come down to whether you want to spend the extra $ on those features, either way I dont think you will be disappointed. I have heard just as many positives about RecTecs as I have CampChef.

I got the RT700 last week and was impressed by it. It cooks great and is built solidly thought the frame is a tad wobbly. Obviously not made to be moved much but that's normal. Overall love it. Only problem is wifi would not work. Confirmed that it was a problem with the board and so they sent me a new one. Same problem. Sent me a third. Same problem. Super bummed but I think I'm going to return it and go for the Yoder if I can't figure something out. If you don't care about the wifi and are okay for paying for it when it might not work, it's a good grill. For me, I have to get what I pay for.

I got the RT700 last week and was impressed by it. It cooks great and is built solidly thought the frame is a tad wobbly. Obviously not made to be moved much but that's normal. Overall love it. Only problem is wifi would not work. Confirmed that it was a problem with the board and so they sent me a new one. Same problem. Sent me a third. Same problem. Super bummed but I think I'm going to return it and go for the Yoder if I can't figure something out. If you don't care about the wifi and are okay for paying for it when it might not work, it's a good grill. For me, I have to get what I pay for.
Wow. I am surprised with the connectivity issues. I’ve had zero issues with my Bull. I hope they get you fixed up soon! B

Welp. It looks like it was a technical problem here after all. I have 5G, 2.4G, and a mesh network. I had my phone set to 2.4 and it is separated from the 5G so I assumed it would catch the 2.4. I just now had the thought to kill the mesh network all together and see what happend. Low-and-behold...the WiFi light immediately started blinking. Everything is perfect and I am an incredibly happy man. I was NOT looking forward to giving up that beast. I'll write them to let folks know that this happens when a mesh network is connected so they can let folks know as I'm sure I won't be the last.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky