Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spwalker75

Original poster
Nov 14, 2016
I've just started using my Smoke Vault 18" and had a mediocre pork butt and a very nice whole chicken. My question now is can I use wood chunks instead of wood chips in my smoker and will that give me longer lasting smoke? I plan on smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving. Any advice on the best type of wood to use for turkey? Thanks.

Great. Thanks! One more question, should I soak the chip/chunks before smoking?

I use chunks as well (even though the smoker manual says not to) I place the chunks in cast iron skillet on a small rack over the burner (I ditched the OEM chip pan) When smoking a turkey I will start out with a few chunks and let those burn down till I get TBS the add every hour as needed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky