Camp Chef 24-Inch Smoke Vault Propane Gas Smoker - Maybe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Hello fellow smokers. From my previous post you know I am a die hard, dedicated stick burner and always will be however, I have been wanting to add to the arsenal and be versatile. I have been doing research on the MES electric and have read a ton on this forum about them. Lots of really good information. It appears lots of smokers on this site own some type of MES. On a negative note, it also appears they require a lot of tinkering with such as changing this part then changing that part, modify this, modify that but many have no issues and zero problems. No smoker is perfect. I get it. Not wanting to buy a smoker that I have to possibly jack with from time to time. I have started researching the Camp Chef Smoke Vault propane. Tons of positive reviews and hardly any negative. I realize, whether the MES or the Camp Chef we are not talking about high dollar smokers. 99 % of the time I will be using one of my stick burners for my smokes. Just want to add something simple to the arsenal. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks to all!

BAYOU CLASSIC.jpg

BAYOU CLASSIC

BIG BERTHA.JPG

BIG BERTHA

BIG BERTHA. 2.JPG

1,000 POUNDS

Looks like you have a pretty good selection going on there already.

I as well as several others on here have the SV24. I know for sure @chilerelleno and @SmokinAl have them.

I also own a MES40 so I can help you out with that one too. Way different smokers IMO. I like to use the MES40 for longer smokes and overnighters. No mods done to it other than using the AMNPS. The SV24 comes calling on all poultry and anything I want to achieve a higher temp on. I also like to do ribs on it. Can crank that sucker up over 400 if you wanted!

I also prefer to cold smoke cheese in this compared to the MES. Its thinner and not insulated so I can place my AMNPS tray on the chip pan right under the water pan and smoke away with awesome results.

I have had mine almost 4 years and it stays outside under a cover and have never had a problem or a bit of rust on it. Cranks right up every time.

Here's a few pics of it in action...

2 15 pound turkeys
Sv2.jpg

Smoke rolling
Sv1.jpg

Cold smoking bacon and cheese
Sv3.jpg

Sv4.jpg

Looks like you have a pretty good selection going on there already.

I as well as several others on here have the SV24. I know for sure @chilerelleno and @SmokinAl have them.

I also own a MES40 so I can help you out with that one too. Way different smokers IMO. I like to use the MES40 for longer smokes and overnighters. No mods done to it other than using the AMNPS. The SV24 comes calling on all poultry and anything I want to achieve a higher temp on. I also like to do ribs on it. Can crank that sucker up over 400 if you wanted!

I also prefer to cold smoke cheese in this compared to the MES. Its thinner and not insulated so I can place my AMNPS tray on the chip pan right under the water pan and smoke away with awesome results.

I have had mine almost 4 years and it stays outside under a cover and have never had a problem or a bit of rust on it. Cranks right up every time.

Here's a few pics of it in action...

2 15 pound turkeys
View attachment 406285

Smoke rolling
View attachment 406284

Cold smoking bacon and cheese
View attachment 406282
View attachment 406283
Thanks for the quick response VOL! Great info! Leaning that way. Pics look great! Which MES 40 do you have?

I had an old King Kooker propane, was nice in cold weather but propane was very hard to maintain an even temp when it was warm out. Would have to turn burner down so far and then even a light breeze would blow out flame. Gave it to my Brother for a second to his MES 40 for deer sausage. Usually do that around Jan.
Best of luck with the vault if you go that route. Look like quality units.

I had an old King Kooker propane, was nice in cold weather but propane was very hard to maintain an even temp when it was warm out. Would have to turn burner down so far and then even a light breeze would blow out flame. Gave it to my Brother for a second to his MES 40 for deer sausage. Usually do that around Jan.
Best of luck with the vault if you go that route. Look like quality units.
Thanks for the input. Have not decided yet.

Thanks for the quick response VOL! Great info! Leaning that way. Pics look great! Which MES 40 do you have?

I have a Cabela's sportsman edition MES40. It basically just like the regular ones except it doesn't have a window on the front(which I don't care about having anyways) and it has more racks in it. Its a more set and forget type smoker. The smoke vault you have to open the door every hour or two and add wood chunks but with you only having stick burners that wont be a problem for you.

One bit if advise if you decide to go with the MES spend the extra money and get the 40" model. Well worth the extra money. Also go ahead and buy an AMNPS. The $30 you will spend on that will save you so much headache. I can put a brisket or pork butt on and stick a tray of pellets in and go to bed and not worry about it at all.

Both have their pros and cons.

Here's a picture of the MES. Got brisket, mac and cheese, a butt, and beans all in at once.
labor14.jpg

Reactions: Hawging It
I have a Cabela's sportsman edition MES40. It basically just like the regular ones except it doesn't have a window on the front(which I don't care about having anyways) and it has more racks in it. Its a more set and forget type smoker. The smoke vault you have to open the door every hour or two and add wood chunks but with you only having stick burners that wont be a problem for you.

One bit if advise if you decide to go with the MES spend the extra money and get the 40" model. Well worth the extra money. Also go ahead and buy an AMPS. The $30 you will spend on that will save you so much headache. I can put a brisket or pork butt on and stick a tray of pellets in and go to bed and not worry about it at all.

Both have their pros and cons.

Here's a picture of the MES. Got brisket, mac and cheese, a butt, and beans all in at once.
View attachment 406289
10-4. I have an AMPS tube for cheese. Thanks Buddy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky