Cajun Apple Butter Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
GaryHibbert GaryHibbert
if ya like those pics, check out the pulling video.

Tender Pulled Pork

Ff4WLyA.jpg

Thanks Al,
the PB is in the smoker.
It went into the smoker with Cherry at 275°.
I've it on a rack steaming over apple juice.
Here in a few it'll go into a 475° oven to transform the skin into cracklins.

Last edited:
Well, good luck! Never tried that myself. Last time I had cracklins was at Cochon in New Orleans - they have a ball of pulled pork that they briefly deep fry and top with cracklins - freaking amazing. Off to the Pub for an afternoon of FB, not sure who I'm going to watch, my Vikes played (and lost) Thursday :(

Damn, I feel like I've been flailing around lately.
And today I screwed up what was turning into top notch cracklins, a minute of distracted attention and I burnt them.
:eek: Arrrrgh! :mad:

But what the hell, let us walk through the rest of the cook anyways.

You've seen the dried skin.
The underside of the PB was rubbed with my pork rub and allowed to sit overnight.
hdwkXzT.jpg

Out of the smoker after two hours at 275°
GmVJcsl.jpg

1Sux8qi.jpg

And into a 475° oven until the skin puffs into delicious cracklins.
And it was in the final couple minutes of that process that I got distracted and burnt the top of them.
LiMN137.jpg

So I tried to save them by scraping the layer of char off and trimming the sides and was somewhat rewarded with fully fair to middlin cracklin pork belly.
gSeZCyu.jpg

gdvtj4H.jpg

HHh97FN.jpg

They're actually pretty good, I ate about a quarter of them

Last edited:
Damn it man, and here I thought you were actually human. That looks wonderful. Nice Job and even nicer save.

Point(s) for sure.
Chris

It's obvious to me that this is an off brand of pork that you normally don't buy.I can tell this 2 ways:
1. It would be blatant if it were your normal Chia brand,no green stuff grew!
2. The belly gave you problems that you wonderfully solved.

Great cook as usual brother! I'd eat!:D

It's obvious to me that this is an off brand of pork that you normally don't buy.I can tell this 2 ways:
1. It would be blatant if it were your normal Chia brand,no green stuff grew!
2. The belly gave you problems that you wonderfully solved.

Great cook as usual brother! I'd eat!:D
Appreciate it MC.
A little spritz of Roundup keeps the green stuff from sprouting up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky