Cabrito! Where do I start?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burksmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 27, 2005
North Central Texas
I had this once when I lived in West Texas.  Can anyone give me some pointers? i.e.  What cut, seasoning, wood, temp, time...

I really want to do this right but I've only had experience with pork, beef and yard bird. lol

Any comments would be appreciated.  (BTW I know goat is not lamb, there is no goat area on this forum)

Cabrito is kid goat, so be sure you don't get hold of an old goat like so many of us here are. I did one a long time ago and felt like I didn't take it low and slow enough. I'd probably start one today with an injection and an overnight rub. Might even think about brining. Mesquite is the normal flavor, 225 or so until about 180 internal. It should shred at about that temp, but tug on some to test it. It might need to get hotter. Time is relative. Be sure to let it rest and then break out the tortillas. Good luck!

icon_cool.gif

Now I have smoked some but not allot. I have also ate a desent amount of goat but the one you need is Jeff (Rio Grande) now he has done alot of goat and he would know about all you need to know. I would hang here and see if he come out of hiding. Then you could always PM him.

I learned the Cabrito method from Rivet and I am not real good at it yet. Salt and pepper night before wrap and toss in fridge. Next day on the grill slow until internal around 180 ish,

Now I do a modified version where I do same prep but then put it in the smoker at around 200 with hickory, or mesquite is good as well. I like mine to 200 then pull like pork. It is dang good...

Maybee rivet will chime in, He is the true master at Cabrito I am but a novice,,,,, Now if we talking goat ribs,,, maybee a pro there.

I learned the Cabrito method from Rivet and I am not real good at it yet. Salt and pepper night before wrap and toss in fridge. Next day on the grill slow until internal around 180 ish,

Now I do a modified version where I do same prep but then put it in the smoker at around 200 with hickory, or mesquite is good as well. I like mine to 200 then pull like pork. It is dang good...

Maybee rivet will chime in, He is the true master at Cabrito I am but a novice,,,,, Now if we talking goat ribs,,, maybee a pro there.
That's pretty much the way I've seen it done in Mexico. Simple seasoning, and they used mesquite wood. Some times simplicity wins over complexity.

Thanks guys!   There is an annual BBQ event in Electra TX not far from where I live where cabrito is one of the categories.  I've always intended to check it out but never have.  I really appreciate the input.  I've got to try it.

Burk

Cabrito is kid goat, so be sure you don't get hold of an old goat like so many of us here are. I did one a long time ago and felt like I didn't take it low and slow enough. I'd probably start one today with an injection and an overnight rub. Might even think about brining. Mesquite is the normal flavor, 225 or so until about 180 internal. It should shred at about that temp, but tug on some to test it. It might need to get hotter. Time is relative. Be sure to let it rest and then break out the tortillas. Good luck!
Hey! You talkin about me and Bear? Old goat
5b7c192b_noidea1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky