Cabinet and table top for my 22.5 WSM...FRANKENSMOKE!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iluvribs

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2009
columbus ohio
I measured my smokers height and width and kinda went from there, got the idea from this link...http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/7781033806   There was no plans so i just winged it i guess, i have some carpentry experience but not a lot, enough i guess, all i really knew was i wanted the grate to set even with the table and a table for food and some where to put the lid, im gonna smoke some ribs tomorrow ( finally got those figured out thanks to all of you
icon14.gif
) was thinking about insulating the cabinet for the smoker, i'll keep my eye on it tomorrow for sure. I will probably insulate next weekend ( What do you think, insulate ? ) any way here are some pics and will get pics of smoker in it tomorrow with some Q-view of those ribs..gonna use Jeffs sauce and rub Ooooooohhhhhhh yeah
beercheer.gif
P.S. In the early pics this is on legs, later i cut them off and put on casters, good size drawer 7 inches deep for utensiles and therms and a smaller cabinet to stack bags of charcoal, lump and wood, i got a stoker that is being shipped this week, going to build a shelf on the back side of the table for it...made with 3/4 inch plywood , 2x4's and 2x2s I call it......FRANKENSMOKE!

ef313ae9_smoker1.jpg
38806368_smoker2.jpg
4ccb28a0_smoker3.jpg
3c06e8be_smoker4.jpg
2ec906f3_smoker5.jpg
e6aeac71_smoker6.jpg
b661025d_smoker7.jpg
23bee7b6_smoker8.jpg
0afc0931_smoker9.jpg

Thanks, i will get pics of the smoker in it tomorrow with the ribs, gonna try to put a video of it on here if i can figure it out , should be around 2:00 pm.

I like that a lot can't wait to see the smoker in it.. real nice job
icon14.gif
X2

Now this is a joke and not to say anything about your work or build. Its beautiful, but if it doesnt work out you can always add one of these.......

c520d4ef_Outhouse11.jpg

sorry I was just in a funny mood..........
ROTF.gif

popcorn.gif
  How about 1/4" cement board if you have to go with insulation?  Makes a great insulator in your type of application.
Thats a good idea, right now got it fired up running at 225 and so far nothing is getting hot, no major heat on the sides of the cabinet.

Got it all done and fired up, smoking 3 racks of spares w/ Jeffs rub, here are some more pics and will post Q pics when there done this evening, no heat issues yet and i dont expect any.....
077494f5_smoker10.jpg
67e68fa0_smoker11.jpg
cdb85da6_smoker13.jpg
ed8c2eb2_smoker17.jpg
de65257d_smoker15.jpg
0dff93f8_smoker16.jpg

Well the ribs turned out great,made a batch of Dutches Wicked Baked Beans to go with them and I had no problems with the cabinet heating up at all...the Stoker arrived today so im gonna do a brisket next weekend, i'll post q-view and a review of the Stoker then. I used maple sausage in the beans instaed of the bacon, i was taking pics while we were eating and the wife was shaking her head but she loves the Q.

e525fa39_q2.jpg
6fd90a06_q4.jpg
a0bdd3b7_q3.jpg
3aec2c71_q1.jpg

The build looks awesome! Only suggestion is to put some vents around the bottom of the smoker area to allow for fresh air draw..... or just prop the door open a bit when you use it. You shouldn't have to insulate it with that rig (unless you want to), I bet it will run in cold weather with no problems the way it sits now.

Nice looking cabinet build.  Looks like it would work good to me.

The build looks awesome! Only suggestion is to put some vents around the bottom of the smoker area to allow for fresh air draw..... or just prop the door open a bit when you use it. You shouldn't have to insulate it with that rig (unless you want to), I bet it will run in cold weather with no problems the way it sits now.
Thanks...there is a 6 inch hole in the back of it to acess the vent in the back and i got a door on it to open if i want, i was thinking of insulation in case it got to hot to protect the wood, not so much for cold weather, when i smoked the ribs today there was enough heat in there so cold weather will not be a problem...maintained temp alot better out of the wind as well.

Thanks...there is a 6 inch hole in the back of it to acess the vent in the back and i got a door on it to open if i want, i was thinking of insulation in case it got to hot to protect the wood, not so much for cold weather, when i smoked the ribs today there was enough heat in there so cold weather will not be a problem...maintained temp alot better out of the wind as well.
Yeah... I need to build something for mine to keep the wind out. If you are just wanting if to heat I would do what NWDave suggested and just buy some cement board and screw it in place, cheap, easy, and fire resistant.
th_violent5.gif

Looks great.  I think I'd move the opening as close to the front as possible, make it easier to access the bottom rack.  Great project.  Sure beats the folding table I have next to my WSM.  anything you would of done different

Looks great.  I think I'd move the opening as close to the front as possible, make it easier to access the bottom rack.  Great project.  Sure beats the folding table I have next to my WSM.  anything you would of done different
When i trimmed the spares yesterday i put those slabs of meat off the spares onto the bottom rack, easily accessed....maybe i would have made it out of 1/2 inch plywood , this thing is awful heavy but its rock solid.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky