Cabelas "Commercial Grade" Sausage Stuffer Parts Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyjohn

Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
Presque Isle & Baraboo WI
Anyone know where to find parts for this stuffer? I've googled 'til I'm shmoogled and contacted Cabelas (waiting to hear from them). Was hoping maybe someone here knew who makes these and where to find parts. I busted the piston/plunger. Stupid thing doesn't have a stop switch on it (electric) and while I stopped in time, I spaced and was trying to raise the piston but forgot to hit the reverse switch while I was futzing with something else. Busted REAL GOOD. The plunger is about 7-1/2" in diameter. I've found some that size but most have female threaded receiver. Mine has a thru hole...didn't measure but it's about 5/8". That goes over the plunger rod and it's held on with a bolt (bad design IMO). I'd attach a picture but it's in the dishwasher

I might take a chance and buy the 7-1/2" from Sausage maker and "make it fit" by drilling it out but I'm afraid that drilling that big of a hole will destroy it by making it weaker.

My other choice is to find a chunk of HDPE and make a mess on the lathe.

Thanks for reading. HJ.
download.png

Reactions: JLeonard
I would keep calling cabela's. They had an excellent customer service but that's when they weren't owned by bass pro.
I believe they still sell the same stuffer.
Not sure why the plunger broke. When my plunger nears the bottom it will be on the last tooth of the geared bar and it springs back as there are no more teeth left

Boykjo

Last edited:
I was mistaken, mine is 20# and did order from Cabelas.
Our grinder which is Cabelas, parts came from LEM.
Don't know if this helps. Good luck !
View attachment 457989
Ya, that' mine. It' part number 7 on the diagram. Can't quite read the part # on the list.
I was mistaken, mine is 20# and did order from Cabelas.
Our grinder which is Cabelas, parts came from LEM.
Don't know if this helps. Good luck !
View attachment 457989
That's my stuffer. It's part #7 on the diagram, can't quite read the part number on the list. I think it's 07-1979-N.

Does your stuffer have a spring on the top?
62590c35_SausageStufferIK-516403.jpeg

Not sure you have the same stuffer.
These are the older version

Boykjo

Does your stuffer have a spring on the top? View attachment 457990
Not sure you have the same stuffer.
These are the older version

Boykjo
Yes, it does. I think the original problem was/is that the "piston rod" is for the next size up .. I think mine's a 20 and shaft is for a 30. In one picture you can see me holding up the other rod. See the tape on the one installed. Guy told me never to run it past that tape. But I was picking up from a guy who was "selling for a friend" so back-and-forth questions weren't convenient. You never get to the spring since the rod is longer than it should be. I don't know why he has the longer shaft in there but I also have not inspected the shorter one to see if it was maybe damaged.
IMG_20200810_100341.jpg IMG_20200810_100325.jpg IMG_20200810_100310.jpg

OK. Yes you do have the older version. I was going off the original picture in your first post. I see how it broke with the longer piston rod. Do you have the upgraded gear for the motor. The old motor gear had a plastic gear inserted into a metal gear and would strip out when put under stress. Cabelas made a replacement and its all one metal gear now.
I ordered 2 of them just in case. I haven't had any problems since.

Boykjo

OK. Yes you do have the older version. I was going off the original picture in your first post. I see how it broke with the longer piston rod. Do you have the upgraded gear for the motor. The old motor gear had a plastic gear inserted into a metal gear and would strip out when put under stress. Cabelas made a replacement and its all one metal gear now.
I ordered 2 of them just in case. I haven't had any problems since.

Boykjo
Ya, sorry, that was just a stock photo. All the gears look to be metal. I'm starting to surmise the PO had to have broken it. That's why he has the tape on there and told me not to overrun it. As to why the 2 shafts...not sure on that. I don't see any obvious damage on the shorter one. Thanks for the great input.

Yes. That would do it. Thats the only bad thing about not having the small plastic gear in the metal gear is there is no safety. The motors had a bad reputation to fail and the the new full gear was a fix. My stuffer use to be quiet. Now its loud but works great.

Boykjo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky