Cabbage sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokininthegarden

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2018
Rocky mountians
Hey everyone, just curious if anyone has ever tried putting fresh cabbage in sausage? I'm thinking something like a
potato sausage only substitute finely shredded cabbage for the potatoes. It might be really good and yes next time I grind
some pork I will try it. But for now just wondering if anyone has done this before.

Cal

Hopefully one of the sausage guru’s will be along to give you an answer. I don’t have a clue, but will be watching!
Al

I dont see the point of putting cabbage in sausage. Ususally cabbage goes with sausage. Give it a go and let us know how it comes out.

My 2 cents

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I think there was a Kutas ir Marianski cabbage sausage recipe I tried it and it was great. I’d chop the cabbage small and not grind it though. Away from home so can’t look it up.

I recommend squeezing all the moisture out of the kraut and adding xantham gum to it and blend that back in... ratio of about 1 tsp. per quart...give or take 1/4 tsp.
Should help with the texture, but you will have to play with the amount used.

Reactions: jcam222
I make cabbage-pork sausage all the time... but as the filling for gyoza or pot stickers!
All the points above on getting rid of moisture are true. Cabbage has a ton of water, if you've ever made kimchee you'll know. The instant you put it in contact with salt, it starts to weep water in huge amounts.

When I make pork-cabbage sausage for the filling on pot stickers, if you don't get it folded up in the skins and frying within 5 or 10 min of adding salt, you will be left with a watery mess.

Once you mix, with fresh cabbage, you are done binding. As the water weeps out of the cabbage, it won't go into bind with the meat as it sits, and you will have wet pockets around the cabbage, and a crumbly unbound texture. I have often wrapped a sausage sized chunk into an eggroll, and that is what I've found. With gyoza and pot stickers, you steam about 2t of meat inside the flour skins, so dripping moistness is expected and not a problem.

If I was goint to use cabbage, I'd salt and drain the cabbage extensively first.

I recently made a bulgogi sausage, and put chopped up kimchee in it, similar thing. It was OK. Everyone felt it would have been better as meat sausage with kimchee served on side. You're always gonna serve a sausage with something, so you need to plan on some kinda topping anyway, and where that topping like sauerkraut makes the most sense...inside or out.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out, hope my comments were helpful!

The cabbage would be best cooked along with the sausage in my opinion. That said, I have fermented sausage with homemade kraut juice and it was good, so adding some homemade sauerkraut to sausage could be a game changer in flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky