Cabbage & Onion Pierogies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
One head of Cabbage thin sliced add to a large pot.Cover the Cabbage with just enough water,bring to a boil add a little salt check for tenderness then drain.
Cabbage boiled
100_0227.JPG
I drain into a towel to squeeze out as much water as possible
100_0228.JPG
Onions get thin sliced saute in butter
100_0229.JPG
While Onions are getting cooked ring out the water
100_0230.JPG
That was still pretty hot when I did it.
Let it cool more so you can handle it
Add Cabbage into the Onions a little at a time
100_0231.JPG
Mix well
I refrigerate over night
100_0233.JPG
Following morning time to make the dough
I use a KA for this,here is the dough after an hour in the refrigerator
100_0237.JPG
Roll out to what ever thickness you like
We like pretty thin
100_0238.JPG
Fill the center
100_0244.JPG
Fold an pinch the edges then flute with a fork
100_0245.JPG
Freeze on trays then we seal in a zip lock bag
vac sealing is not needed they go quickly
100_0246.JPG
Thanks for watching
Richie

Pierogi Dough

2 cups Flour

2 Eggs ( jumbo)

4 heaping Tbs sour cream

1 Tbs water

1/2 tsp. salt

Last edited:
Those look really tasty and simple(aside of making the dough), nice play-by-play there Richie.

Point for sure
Chris

Awesome!!! My grandmothers used to make homemade pierogies with sauerkraut and potato. Put melted butter and caramelized onions over the top after they were boiled. MMM, MMM, MMM!!!! Brings back memories!!!

Those look great Richie! Never tried the cabbage and onion ones but will now. Our go to was potato and onion (with or without cheese) and yo are right when you say they don't last long!

Barry.

Those look really tasty and simple(aside of making the dough), nice play-by-play there Richie.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris thanks I added the recipe sorry I forgot to paste it at the end.Thanks for the Point I appreciate it
Richie

Awesome!!! My grandmothers used to make homemade pierogies with sauerkraut and potato. Put melted butter and caramelized onions over the top after they were boiled. MMM, MMM, MMM!!!! Brings back memories!!!

Joe Thank You I added the dough recipe,Potato,Onion with or without Cheese are my favorite.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Those look great Richie! Never tried the cabbage and onion ones but will now. Our go to was potato and onion (with or without cheese) and yo are right when you say they don't last long!

Barry.

Barry were I use to live was a lot of Polish but their Cabbage Pierogies were made with Kraut,that is what made me start making my own my way.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Very nice. Bev and I love the Cabbage and Onion Pierogi! I have had the Sauerkraut and Dried Mushroom version and not really crazy about them. My family likes Potato with Sharp American Cheese. The brand I like best is COOPER SHARP. I dont know if they nationally distribute. A 2 to 1 blend of SLICED American Cheese, not that crap you peel plastic off of, and a good Ex-Sharp Cheddar works too. Your dough is similar to mine so I know the recipe is a good one. We make 12 Cup of Flour Batches to feed my crew and Freeze enough for another meal.
Have you ever tried the Cabbage and Onions Fried until Brown, like for Halushki? The combo gets very tender and Sweeter...JJ

Looks real good Richie! There’s so many churches around here that make and sell them, plus my nana is still making her own well into her 90s....so I have never bothered making my own yet.

But I’d like to start before all the old recipes get lost.

Like!

Sweet! Those look real good Richie! I sure could eat a pile of 'em.

I agree with JJ about the fried cabbage and onions! This is a regular side at my house. I make it in a little sesame oil though and add toasted sesame seeds. Its Asian inspired, but Ill bet that would be good wrapped up as a pierogi (Gyoza, egg roll, dumpling or whatever other name)

Looks real good Richie! There’s so many churches around here that make and sell them, plus my nana is still making her own well into her 90s....so I have never bothered making my own yet.

Like!

Definitely get with Grandma and anyone else that makes stuff you like. I started,very young as Grandma's Helper. Most of her stuff I can reproduce...BUT...I just can't make Meat Ravioli like her! I know the ingredients but they just don't taste like her's. My Mom and her brothers and sisters are all gone and my cousins are in the same boat...JJ

Very nice. Bev and I love the Cabbage and Onion Pierogi! I have had the Sauerkraut and Dried Mushroom version and not really crazy about them. My family likes Potato with Sharp American Cheese. The brand I like best is COOPER SHARP. I dont know if they nationally distribute. A 2 to 1 blend of SLICED American Cheese, not that crap you peel plastic off of, and a good Ex-Sharp Cheddar works too. Your dough is similar to mine so I know the recipe is a good one. We make 12 Cup of Flour Batches to feed my crew and Freeze enough for another meal.
Have you ever tried the Cabbage and Onions Fried until Brown, like for Halushki? The combo gets very tender and Sweeter...JJ

JJ I have had the Cabbage & Onion browned but I only saute it when making this filling,next time I will give that a shot.Potato an Cheese we are due to make them LOL once we get back to our old habits.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Like!

Joe I bet your Nana Would love you asking her to teach you,I can only imagine how enlightened and happy she would be!
Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie
DON'T WAIT TO LONG

JJ I have had the Cabbage & Onion browned but I only saute it when making this filling,next time I will give that a shot.Potato an Cheese we are due to make them LOL once we get back to our old habits.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Funny, I was telling my Wife about your's, she said we need to try just wilting the Cabbage and Onions. Would have more texture. My Dad favored a slightly sweetened Farmers Cheese version, his Mom made. The Farmers Cheese, Frienship is the only brand i evee saw, resembles a drier version of Ricotta...JJ

Sweet! Those look real good Richie! I sure could eat a pile of 'em.

I agree with JJ about the fried cabbage and onions! This is a regular side at my house. I make it in a little sesame oil though and add toasted sesame seeds. Its Asian inspired, but Ill bet that would be good wrapped up as a pierogi (Gyoza, egg roll, dumpling or whatever other name)

Erik Thank you I froze a nice amount of these,going to make the Potato,Onion an Cheese some time soon.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

They look great, making me hungry thinking about them and all the other varieties mentioned.
Like!

Chili Thank you these are filling for being so small.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Funny, I was telling my Wife about your's, she said we need to try just wilting the Cabbage and Onions. Would have more texture. My Dad favored a slightly sweetened Farmers Cheese version, his Mom made. The Farmers Cheese, Frienship is the only brand i evee saw, resembles a drier version of Ricotta...JJ

JJ If you's do make them caramelise the Onions I wish I let mine cook longer,mine were missing that flavor.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky