Cabbage fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazzycajun

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2007
wichita ks
This years garden had a rough start my cabbage yield was pitiful. That being said has anyone tried to use store bought cabbage for sauerkraut? I seen on triple d where they did this for bierocks and claimed success. I have also eaten at some of these places on the show and their “bbq” was mediocre at best tia

I haven't actually made sauerkraut, but don't see why you can't use store bought cabbage. It came from a farm, amirite?:p Do you have farmers markets near you? You might be able to buy right from the farmer.
I always want to try the places in triple d...lol...I binge watch it! I always wonder how good some of the places actually are because he never says anything bad about them. What does he do when the place isn't good? Just don't show it?

Nothing is wrong with the store bought however I’ve read/heard that store bought doesn’t ferment properly as well fresh cabbage for sauerkraut.

I was going to make sauerkraut last summer and the recipes I looked at were stupidly simple: put cabbage, water, and salt into a jar and let it sit at a cool room temperature for a few months.

I did see in a few recipes the advice to "use the freshest cabbage available," so perhaps that is why it might be better with cabbage directly from your garden.

Interesting read here about why you don't have to worry about botulism (it ferments in an anaerobic environment which is one of the requirements for creating botulism). However, because of the fermentation, no botulism will grow. This link also provides some other reasons why super-fresh cabbage is important:

Is there a risk of botulism in fermented foods?

Reactions: richorn
I have a friend who turns 50 heads of store bought cabbage into homemade sauerkraut yearly. He's certainly never had problems!

There is alot of 'internet' stories out there remember. if some one couldn't make store bought cabbage to Kraut..I don't think it was the cabbage.

I see where you are coming from thinking that there could be a preservative used on storebought but I am fairly confident the lacto will eventually overcome it and ferment it just fine. A well known thing among homebrewers is that malt is very rich in lacto and a little sprinkled on top of the crock will speed the ferment up considerably. Haven't tried making it myself yet but on the list of things to do.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
I ferment store bought.... I think the purple is beautiful...

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/fermenting-kraut.132186/#post-899139

Cabbage Purple Fermented.jpg

Kraut Fermented.jpg

Store bough should be fine they don't treat cabbage with a preservative like they do lettuce. That being said you should be fine. Show us your process and finish.

Warren

Dave, you just moved kraut way up on the todo list with your % based recipes. I didn't see a post where you tasted it or reviewed? I assume that recipe worked well?

Looks good Daveo. I don't think the group that I make kraut with would go for the purple though!

You should be okay with store bought. The issues are with sugars and the bacteria on the cabbage that causes the fermentation. The older the cabbage, the less bacteria you have to start the fermentation process.

Reactions: KrisUpInSmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky