Cab brisket be pisibly done this fast?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agrasyuk

Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
Chicagoland
12lb full brisket from Costco
Fire started at 8am, brisket went in at 8.45
Thermometer showed 165f at around 1pm at which point it was wrapped in foil.
3pm the thermometer shows 200-215 depending on where I poke. I'm afraid to poke it anymore honestly, I think I made enough damage trying to find colder spot as it is.

My pit does run bit hotter today, and I did have a period of temp on 290ies, but Is it possible to be done this fast at all?
Will be testing my thermometer shortly

like pork butts some briskets cook quicker then others, like rich said if it's probe tender it's done.

Thank you for your input. Probe indeed seemed very tender. In cup of boiling water meter read 210.
I pulled the brisket into a beer cooler 10 min ago. Barely over 7hours cook time. I'm at loss .

Worst come to worst I will finish it off in the oven

A late follow-up .
Rested the brisket (still in foil) in beer cooler for bit over two hours before slicing.

Turned out to be great success! Will dare to say my best brisket so far. Our guests went as far as to say they never tasted meat like that. The looks on faces really made me feel great.

Lessons learned
Cook times indeed will vary.
5 or so degrees over ideal temp is not a deal breaker.
Should have left just a bit more fat during trimming.

20190818_180936.jpg

Attachments

• 20190818_183835.jpg
    20190818_183835.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: chopsaw
Did you take good notes about your smoke? Good habit to get into. Other questions: have you verified your smoker's grate temps with a calibrated thermometer or are you relying on a built in gauge? Note: built-ins are notorious for being incorrect. Was the brisket Choice or Prime? Prime does cook faster. Temp is only a guideline as every piece of meat can be different. I've had them get done anywhere from 196º to 210º. Doneness is determined by probing. It should go in & out like a knife through warm butter in the flat section, ignore the point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky