Buying Meat in Iowa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just made the one from Sam's this weekend with a pork shoulder this time I dry brined it with salt for 24hrs and put beef broth and worster in the foil for the stall and I don't know which or if all of those things made it better but it was very good.

Last edited:
Yes they will do special cuts if they have enough time in advance. Fareway mostly. H-V will but they are tougher to deal with.

Last edited:
Fareway is my go to. Bought casings from them Friday, stuffed 40 lbs of brats and breakfast sausage yesterday. Good folks. We buy most of our meat there they know their stuff.

just so everyone knows most Fairway and Hyvee stores will honer each others deals/coupons so if you usually go to one but the other has a sale take the add/coupon in with you and they should honer it. We have both in our town and have done this many of times. Hope that helps

Hey guys, I have a decent amount of venison from shotgun season and I am looking for the best place to get pork or beef to mix with it for ground meat. I considered buying 73/27 ground beef and mixing 50:50 to get roughly 85% lean mix for burgers and summer sausage. Would it be cheaper to get pork trimmings of beef trimmings? Thanks for the help!

^^^
Sams Club for a pork butt or boston roast is what I will mix mine with when I haven't stored a fat bag. Check the local stores for best price. If you buy a whole rib roast trim the 2" lip off and trim the fat cap a bit and add ir. When I buy one I'll trim and store the fat in the freezer for a later date.

^^^
Sams Club for a pork butt or boston roast is what I will mix mine with when I haven't stored a fat bag. Check the local stores for best price. If you buy a whole rib roast trim the 2" lip off and trim the fat cap a bit and add ir. When I buy one I'll trim and store the fat in the freezer for a later date.

Thank you very much! I will do some checking and see where I can get the best price!

During season, as I get a deer and hang it i try to mentally figure out how much grind I will have, I call ahead to hy-vee and talk to the manager of the meat department, I order up beef fat and a bit more then I think I'm going to use. Best thing is (here anyway) it's fresh and it's free. Just finished processing my shotgun deer and figured out to have about 200 pounds of grind, so I went and called ahead and got 50lbs of beef fat to grind in. Also I might add, I only add the beef fat and nothing else.

Does anyone here buy meat at the Costco in West Des Moines ? I've never been there (it's 90 minutes away) and was wondering what kind of selection of meat and fish they offer and if it's worth the membership fee. Or should I just buy at my local Fareway ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone here buy meat at the Costco in West Des Moines ? I've never been there (it's 90 minutes away) and was wondering what kind of selection of meat and fish they offer and if it's worth the membership fee. Or should I just buy at my local Fareway ? Thanks.

It's not bad, some good deals, some cuts i question why it's cut that way. I prefer Sam's club, but they are iffy on true cuts....

1. Pork Loin Back Ribs (priced per pound) - 6-14lbs @ 2.88/lb
by Member's Mark|
Item # 323863
|
  • 0021101900000_A
  • 0021101900000_B

0021101900000_A

About this item
  • Meaty, all-natural back ribs
  • Specially selected for premium quality
  • 3 slabs per bag
  • Fresh and never frozen
  • Product of USA

I visit the Sam's Club in Davenport Iowa, I just checked their website and they are still 2.22 a pound today, that's by the case or just buying them right out of the cooler which is surprising because usually by the case is much cheaper. This is actually the best priced I have seen. I have purchased them before for 2.48 per pound when you by the case. All of my freezers are full right now or I would buy at a case. Lol

At the Costco in Des Moines they were $2.79 per lb. for Pork Loin Back Ribs in March (I took a photo) but I don't recall if the price was the same when we were there in August. We were pleased with the quality and the way they turned out. Swift Premium is the brand.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky