Buying a Quarter of a Cow - Details!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sal Barsanti

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
Webberville, MI
Friend of a family member just called and said they're going to have 1/4 cow available soon. Every once in a while this farmer in rural Michigan has an extra 1/4 or 1/2 a cow (when someone bails out on the purchase) and we get a call.

This will be 190# @ $3.00/lbs plus $.50/lbs for processing. This cow is from a small farm and they brag about all of the health benefits of how they raise the beef.

Anywho, should I call the processor and ask for specific cuts of the 1/4 portion? Can I ask for the brisket cut for example? Beef ribs? How in the world do I know what I'm getting? I've never paid too much attention in the past when we bought beef, but it seems like we'd get ground burger, some steaks and chuck roasts.

Well, now I want to know what I can throw on my WSM 22.5". Would I be out of line to ask them for the beef ribs and brisket cuts? Or beef cheek!

Any background or input is appreciated before I call the processor.

Thank you

Reactions: drdon and JC in GB
It all depends on the processor, some are very accommodating, some go for standard packaging options. The usually will ask how thick do you want steaks, roasts or ground. Give him a call and ask questions.

RG

Reactions: JC in GB
We get a 1/2 every year and it is a lot of meat. Processor should have a list of cuts you'll get. I'd ask for anything you want. I found this on the web for a 1/4
  • Ground Beef
  • Steaks
    • Filet Steak
    • Ribeye Steak
    • Sirloin Steak
    • Skirt Steak
    • Strip Steak
    • Round Steak
  • Brisket
  • Roasts
    • Chuck Roast
    • Arm Roast
    • Rump Roast
  • Stew Meat
  • Kabob Meat
  • Beef Ribs
  • Soup Bones
  • Miscellaneous
    • Liver (if desired)
    • Heart (if desired and if available based on those you’re cow-pooling with.)
    • Tongue (if desired and if available based on those you’re cow-pooling with.)

Most locker plants will allow you to choose what cuts you want for your section. You'll be able decide thicknesses on steaks, fat content on ground beef, packaging options. But the best thing to do is be in contact with whoever you're getting the steer from, and the locker itself.

First thing I would want is both Tri-tips, have yet to find them here in NY. I actually have a neighbor who is a private flight attendant going to try and find some for me in CA when she is there next.

Post up what they tell you, I have friends that every once in a while split a cow...works out to about $4 + a pound here in NY.

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
It all depends on the processor, some are very accommodating, some go for standard packaging options. The usually will ask how thick do you want steaks, roasts or ground. Give him a call and ask questions.
RG

Yep, I'll be calling. Thanks!

I'd call the farmer whose selling it to you and find out how the cow is being divvied up.
Chris

Good point. Not just the processor, but I should call the farmer. For all I know, they have claimed all of the good cuts and I'll get the rest? I'll try to talk with the farmer too and ask a ton of questions.

We get a half every year. The butcher that does ours asks what and how we want it cut. I just have to give them a call and let them know who I'm getting the beef from. They start going down a list of cuts and quantities (number of steaks in a pack, pounds of ground meat in a pack, thickness of steaks, etc...)

Most locker plants will allow you to choose what cuts you want for your section. You'll be able decide thicknesses on steaks, fat content on ground beef, packaging options. But the best thing to do is be in contact with whoever you're getting the steer from, and the locker itself.

Fat content on ground beef! Never even thought to ask about that. Excellent point.

We get a 1/2 every year and it is a lot of meat. Processor should have a list of cuts you'll get. I'd ask for anything you want. I found this on the web for a 1/4
  • Ground Beef
  • Steaks
    • Filet Steak
    • Ribeye Steak
    • Sirloin Steak
    • Skirt Steak
    • Strip Steak
    • Round Steak
  • Brisket
  • Roasts
    • Chuck Roast
    • Arm Roast
    • Rump Roast
  • Stew Meat
  • Kabob Meat
  • Beef Ribs
  • Soup Bones
  • Miscellaneous
    • Liver (if desired)
    • Heart (if desired and if available based on those you’re cow-pooling with.)
    • Tongue (if desired and if available based on those you’re cow-pooling with.)
This is exactly what I need for the phone call. Outstanding checklist. Thank you Big W!

First thing I would want is both Tri-tips, have yet to find them here in NY. I actually have a neighbor who is a private flight attendant going to try and find some for me in CA when she is there next.

Post up what they tell you, I have friends that every once in a while split a cow...works out to about $4 + a pound here in NY.

Tri Tip! Yes, another very good point. Definitely will ask for the Tri Tip.

Hopefully the other 3 people on the split don't know what they are! only 2 per cow from my readings.

That's what I'm afraid of. That I'm going to miss out on the "good" cuts and be left with a lot of ground burger. :(

I will call and ask these questions. Maybe I ultimately tell him "no thank you."

I mean, I want those beef ribs too!!!

The first time I bought 1/4 cow, I just told the processor that I wanted the minimum amount of ground beef I can get. Once I got the package, I went through and made plans for how I was going to use each cut, what I wanted more or less of next time.

Reactions: Sal Barsanti
That's what I'm afraid of. That I'm going to miss out on the "good" cuts and be left with a lot of ground burger. :(

I will call and ask these questions. Maybe I ultimately tell him "no thank you."

I mean, I want those beef ribs too!!!
yes have them kept together in 3 bone sections so you have plate ribs...another item I am trying to find locally.

The first time I bought 1/4 cow, I just told the processor that I wanted the minimum amount of ground beef I can get. Once I got the package, I went through and made plans for how I was going to use each cut, what I wanted more or less of next time.

Right on. I like this approach. Although we enjoy quality ground beef burgers off the grill, I also would like to request these other cuts now I'm into smoking meat.

I think back to all of the previous 1/4 or 1/2 cows we bought over the years and I truly have no idea what we got exactly. I know my wife picked it up and threw it in the freezer, but heck, what did I get? (besides burger, roasts and some steaks.) Someone was getting the premium cuts - because I was not!

Reactions: JC in GB
not to throw a wrench in the sprocket, but I wonder if it's even worth it, remember you'll be paying for bone, fat etc. I think your better off looking for sales at the supermarkets and load up on what you like, I know like 80/20 burger goes on for 2.29-2.49 sometimes 1.99, bnls and bone in strips sometimes goes on for 3.99-4.99, bottom roast and eye roast goes on for 2.49-2.79, top rounds goes on for 2.79-2.99 just my opinion.

Got the beef today. 194# hanging weight. 136# net weight.

Here's what I ended up with:

Round steak 9.17#
Round roast 3.6#
Sirloin steak 3.3#
NY strip steak 5.2# - 1.25" thick
Sirloin tip roast 4#
Rib steak 7.4# - 1.25" thick
Brisket 4.6# (I think it's the tip)
Chuck roast 20.4#
Tenderloin steak 2#
Skirt steak 1.5#
Flank steak .9#
Short ribs 6.7#
Bones without meat 12.5#
Ground beef 26# (1# tubes)
Ground beef patties 26#
Suet 2.4#
* Requested beef cheek. Told NA.

Deepnds if you are getting a fore or hind. Tri tip is one per side on the hind. When i get my beef and pigs, i do the cutting myself, no reason to pay a person to do something i can do. I was looking at the list above. Some parts come from the fore and some from the hind....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky