Butts Cooking Too Slow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

psycho dad

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Suffolk, VA
Hey Guys,

I have 2 butts just over 4# each on the MES, after 8 hours they are only up to 180 degrees. Had the same problem last weekend, 9 hours for a 4# butt. I'm using the digital probe in one and an regular meat thermometer in the other, they read about the same.  I smoked at 225 last weekend, started at 230 today, then bumped it up to 235. Shouldn't they be about done now?

Thanks,

- Jay

Not necessarily! Meat is done when meat is done. 

I know that doesn't say much but it's just the way it is. There are so many variables... outside temp, fat content, wind....

thanks AK,

Its gone up 4 degrees in the last 20 min, maybe it will keep going upward.  I started an hour early today, looks like my guests may have to wait a while.

all the butts i have done been 9lbs or more so i'm not sure how long a 4lbs would take.

doesn't sound to be to far off . just have to wait it out.

I had some take 14 hours to get done.

like AK1 said. "Meat is done when meat is done. "

My butts average between 1.5 and 2 hrs per pound. I have had them go over 2 hrs per pound as well. when i do butts i figure 2 hrs per and add 2 hrs, however it is done when the IT reads 200-205

Thanks. I just checked the digital therometer against one from my turkey fryer, its spot on.

This was a 9 pounder but I cut in half to speed things up.

Up to 187 now, should be ready to eat in 2 hours or so.

don't forget the Q-views

drool.gif

Psycho , ALWAYS leave yourself time... the meat will hold several hrs in a cooler - wrapped and bundled. The worst thing I can see in having your meal delayed is "reputation". ( he don't know how to do this...LOL:) .

Patience is your friend.......

Have fun and..,.     

Butts can take that long, I either do them the day before and then steam to warm then or start way early.  Good luck and take pics

I'm worried mine is cooking too slow as well. It's about 34 degrees (wind chill). My smoker is sitting right between 230 and 250. I am wondering what a safe temp is for my pork butt. I started it around noon today, and it's 6:30 here. I'm worried, because my meat temp is only 110 degrees. I have verified my grill thermometer with an independent thermometer....

Me or the chicken?

After 6 1/2 hours you r meat should be much hotter than that. Did you check the meat thermometer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky