Butts and Ribs "Play by Play" Q-veiw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sorry for no update, party started, sneaked away to give you all an update!!!  They all went crazy for the BBQ....

I had one butt that was being difficult it took 18hrs to get to 198... I just pulled it since we were getting everything ready, it did not fall apart like the other one, but still pulled real nice..

Here are the ribs..  Had to shovel them into a pan, they were just falling apart..

Here is the stubborn butt....

Pulling the butt..

Finished product...

I just want to thank everyone on this site, without this site this weekend would have been a disaster. 

The knowledge that is shared is great, I hope I can be as helpful as everyone else as I keep the smoker hot!!

Now back to the party!!

Reactions: meateater
icon_cool.gif

Well everything looks good so far and I do agree with Bob (eman) and that smoker is way to clean you need to start smoking alot more. Now one thing AL asked you was about the pans. Why are you using the pans and you said that you want to drippings for the finishing sauce. Believe me when you foil the butts you will come out with plenty of drippings/juices. But I'm pretty sure that your wife will love the food for her B-day. Now for a finishing sauce I just use the drippings I get in the foil. I just pour it into a container and throw it in the freezer while I pulled the butts. Then bye the time I'm finished I get the drippings out of the freezer and skim off the fat and then pour it into the pulled meat don't juicy and delish.

They look great... let us know how the party goers liked them...

Thanks to you guys the food was loved by everyone, no one left without complementing me on the food. 

One thing I did notice was on the juice that was collected in the pan;

the one butt that finished about 16 hours, when I collected the pan juice and let it settle over 2/3 was fat.

the Marathon butt that took about 18 hours was 1/3 fat.

So I guess the 2nd one was more meat and took longer to cook....

Next weekend I got to do some ribs for a fiends wife's birthday, so it is on again....

I got the itch....

Well after church today we went through the leftovers, ribs were gone, but there was pulled pork left..  It was still very good, a little Jeff's Q sauce and it was on!!!

I can't wait to do it all over again!!  

I owe it all to this website, I read post after post for a week straight before I even unboxed my unit.  I modded it before using it (learn that here).  I just hope years from now I can be as helpful to others learning this.  Thanks to all!!

Last edited:
Bikr4jc,

The reason I put a pan below the meat is because I like to have the entire piece of meat exposed to the smoke and I don't want the meat to sit in the drippings while cooking.  I return the meat to the pan with the accumulated drippings and baste when it is time to foil.   Was the bottom of the butt the same color and texture as the top of the butt?  

There are many ways to do great smoke.  Congrats on the great looking food.

Al

Bikr4jc,

The reason I put a pan below the meat is because I like to have the entire piece of meat exposed to the smoke and I don't want the meat to sit in the drippings while cooking.  I return the meat to the pan with the accumulated drippings and baste when it is time to foil.   Was the bottom of the butt the same color and texture as the top of the butt?  

There are many ways to do great smoke.  Congrats on the great looking food.

Al
No the bottom did not have the bark as the top, I put the fat to the bottom and it turned out just fine.  The meat still got enough smoke..  That is the nice thing about this website, you can learn many different ways to smoke....  The next time I will try without the pan just to try something different 

Looks great, I was wondering how much propane you used on the stubborn butt. I have the same Masterbuilt and only used it once prior to putting 14lbs of shoulder/butt on tonight. Just wondering.

Thanks

Forrest

AKA Jackshady

Looks great, I was wondering how much propane you used on the stubborn butt. I have the same Masterbuilt and only used it once prior to putting 14lbs of shoulder/butt on tonight. Just wondering.

Thanks

Forrest

AKA Jackshady

I was surprised, the tank still had a lot of weight to it, I do not have a Gage so usually I go by how heavy the tank is.  I smoked some ribs today and still have gas....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky