Butts and Ribs "Play by Play" Q-veiw

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikr4jc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Ontario, California
Getting ready for wife's birthday party tomorrow.  Just started the Butts in the smoker, will add ribs in the morning. First time using this smoker, and first butts...

The Butts in the pan, with Jeff's Rub on them...

My spray bottle additives, sorry no Capt Morgan....

Butts in the smoker, ready to go....

Stay tuned, we will all see how it goes.....

Last edited:
Looks good other than the smokers to dang clean!

looks good but that smoker is very cleean, you must have a good wife,    and isn't ontario in canada?

need to see the pulled pics

looks good so far. Cant wait to see the results

Is there a reason you have the butts in a pan instead of on the rack with a pan beneath to catch any drippings?  You're a brave man doing a first smoke for your wife's Bday.  Looks great so far.

Is there a reason you have the butts in a pan instead of on the rack with a pan beneath to catch any drippings?  You're a brave man doing a first smoke for your wife's Bday.  Looks great so far.

I have read a few threads and like Jeff's method, I can take the juice from the pan and use it as a finishing sauce.  First time so we will see, so far I like the results.

11 hours into it, meat temp 165 and holding...

Got the ribs rubbed down, covered the butts so they won't get over smoked by the ribs coming in....

So Far so good!!

Who needs sleep.......
smile.gif

Question??  When I added the ribs the temp fell to about 150 and it's taking a while to come back up.  I turned up the gas just now to get smoker temp back up, I should be fine, Right?  Once it gets back to about 240 I will adjust it so it stays....

You'll be fine...with that gasser you have control.  Now that you've bumped the heat up you've probably already recovered since posting.

Those look exceptional.  I bet the party goes off without a hitch.  I think your 8:20 post reflected the ribs absorbing alot of the heat.  Your wife's friends and family are going to be pleasantly surprised that it's not going to be the old burgers and dogs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky