Butter Knife Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So my wife was out shopping a couple of days ago and she starts texting me pictures of whole briskets asking which one want.....I’m like I don’t want to spend 120 on a whole brisket.....she says NO they the are only 3.99/lb.......bam she got my attention so she picked out a nice one for the weekend!

I don’t have a lot of patience and not a fan of no sleep so I got up this am and separated the point from the flat and 1/4” fat trimmed them both then heavy SPOG & Tony’s Original Creole then on the RT1250 @ 275....I had to add a taste tester trim piece to.....cause sometimes you just can’t wait for it!
View attachment 627844
Had planned on wrapping them up @ IT 165 but went with the wife for a lunch time shopping spree......they were both at 155......so I gobbled up the test strip and jumped in the truck with the wife.....
View attachment 627845
well it so happens the point just cruised on by 165 sans stall and starts approaching 190.....I’m watching this on my phone app and not trying to rush my wife along because I told her I have time to go shopping.....so I quickly dropped the temp back to 225 so it wouldn’t over shoot....when we got home the point was 197 and jiggly and the flat was 180.....
View attachment 627846
View attachment 627847
so I wrapped both up and placed the point in the home oven @170 and put the flat back on the RT @ 275 to finish.....then I got snagged on a work phone call that ran really really long and when hung up I look at my app and the flat is @203 so I jumped up and transferred it to the house oven to hold @170 with the point, then back to to work ...... holy smokes what drama!

so @ 6:30 my son comes into the office and says dad dinner will be ready in 8 mins.....I’m like what? So I come out of the office and my wife had home made Mac and my daughter was pulling a pan of scratch corn bread she made......I was in shock, what a way to start of Friday night!

so I pulled the point out of the oven and get it ready to slice.....nothing but smiles!
View attachment 627848
Bingo!
View attachment 627849
Here is the perfect Friday night plate!
View attachment 627850
this point was so tender, juicy, and buttery it was in no need of anything but to be eaten.....other than a butter knife!!!
View attachment 627851
Now the real story....I have completely converted over to this modified hot and fast brisket approach.....ie I started trimming the brisket up at 7am....and after 20 mins of trying to find which GFI plug was connected to the back porch plug because it was tripped.....(it was on the front porch????) to heat up RT up to 275 and the brisket went on at 7:50....

the point hit 197 @ 2pm and then the flat (foil wrapped) @ 2pm hit 203 @ 4:30, they hung out in the 170 oven till 6:30.... when I do brisket this way I always hold it @170 for at least 2 hours........ So yes this brisket point was done start to finish in 8 hours and the flat 10.5 hours....so the whole brisket could have been consumed for dinner.

The other thing I have discovered is the brisket cooks very consistently and with repeatable pleasing results..... ie no sauce slices every time! This is basically how I cook plate ribs so I thought brisket could follow the same path......anyway it’s food for thought for others!

Man it all looks great! How did you like the flavor from not wrapping or waiting to wrap until later? To me it's so great that I don't wrap briskets, pork butts, or ribs!

Hot and fast all the way buddy :D

Great work!

Been pretty busy and late to the party but that is one beautiful brisket!! Perfect smoke ring, nice bend test, and looks plenty juicy. Great job!!

Robert

Oh Yeah!!
Fantastic Job!!
I'm another one gazing at that Plated Pic!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! It was a tasty treat for sure!

Exactly!!! Can’t wait. The break will be good for her. Im not always home that much - till the accident and now I’m home nearly 24/7 and can do very little. I think she’s about to loose it. But she a trooper for sure.
I totally get that, it has been an “adjustment” with me working from the house.....and I’ve been there on the couch life too!

WOW prime at $3.99!!
yea with the prices the way they are I’m not surprised but I think it’s temporary to move current product. Demographics is also a reason. A good number of families here just can’t afford to buy at the higher prices.....

Man it all looks great! How did you like the flavor from not wrapping or waiting to wrap until later? To me it's so great that I don't wrap briskets, pork butts, or ribs!

Hot and fast all the way buddy :D

Great work!
thanks!

for me I think the point is better un-wrapped with the crispy bark, but I think the flat is better wrapped around 160 apposed to higher. It have a better texture and that out weighs the bark as it can dry. The holding after has the biggest textual influence for me though.

I don’t add moisture when I wrap other than chuck just a foil pan or foil. I actually prefer a foil pan over tight foil.

I prefer spares wrapped and baby backs not.....

Been pretty busy and late to the party but that is one beautiful brisket!! Perfect smoke ring, nice bend test, and looks plenty juicy. Great job!!

Robert
Oh there are still left overs Robert. Thanks! It was a quiet meal with the kids, just snarls till it was gone....lol

Reactions: tallbm
Boy that brisket looks yummy Civil as does the whole plate.

Point for sure
Chris

Good for her , better for you. She really is a keeper.

David
Thanks David! Oh yes I'm a very happy man!

Boy that brisket looks yummy Civil as does the whole plate.

Point for sure
Chris
Many thanks Chris! Been eating on the brisket every day now.....and I have have a work function tomorrow night and I am having brisket tacos brought in...... what can I say I'm a beef eater!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! What a great journey and good luck! That plate looks incredible and what a bend test!!!

Wow! What a great journey and good luck! That plate looks incredible and what a bend test!!!
Thanks Jed? There was some luck there for sure..... just sometimes life goes the right way!

Reactions: bauchjw
Don’t get me wrong! Skill and experience have a way of creating luck!
LOL, sometimes but other times its just luck! Now discipline creates luck.... have a recipe and FOLLOW it!

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky