Butter Knife Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So my wife was out shopping a couple of days ago and she starts texting me pictures of whole briskets asking which one want.....I’m like I don’t want to spend 120 on a whole brisket.....she says NO they the are only 3.99/lb.......bam she got my attention so she picked out a nice one for the weekend!

I don’t have a lot of patience and not a fan of no sleep so I got up this am and separated the point from the flat and 1/4” fat trimmed them both then heavy SPOG & Tony’s Original Creole then on the RT1250 @ 275....I had to add a taste tester trim piece to.....cause sometimes you just can’t wait for it!
72ED0CC9-65A7-4070-9FE1-E94D7E2EDBD8.jpeg

Had planned on wrapping them up @ IT 165 but went with the wife for a lunch time shopping spree......they were both at 155......so I gobbled up the test strip and jumped in the truck with the wife.....
D730493D-3E3D-4095-AFB6-57B2BB7AEA23.jpeg

well it so happens the point just cruised on by 165 sans stall and starts approaching 190.....I’m watching this on my phone app and not trying to rush my wife along because I told her I have time to go shopping.....so I quickly dropped the temp back to 225 so it wouldn’t over shoot....when we got home the point was 197 and jiggly and the flat was 180.....
7F4641A6-B02F-4FFA-8F74-D195301F5643.jpeg

3C0C65DA-0AE5-4847-B15A-0EAFECE28CA8.jpeg

so I wrapped both up and placed the point in the home oven @170 and put the flat back on the RT @ 275 to finish.....then I got snagged on a work phone call that ran really really long and when hung up I look at my app and the flat is @203 so I jumped up and transferred it to the house oven to hold @170 with the point, then back to to work ...... holy smokes what drama!

so @ 6:30 my son comes into the office and says dad dinner will be ready in 8 mins.....I’m like what? So I come out of the office and my wife had home made Mac and my daughter was pulling a pan of scratch corn bread she made......I was in shock, what a way to start of Friday night!

so I pulled the point out of the oven and get it ready to slice.....nothing but smiles!
76AE1CC7-8BB9-48D5-A414-8ED4D0672E99.jpeg

Bingo!
B5653579-2901-4CA7-BE9E-1DBB8D4551CC.jpeg

Here is the perfect Friday night plate!
E4ED5EDF-2920-4E5C-BDE6-709859FC8916.jpeg

this point was so tender, juicy, and buttery it was in no need of anything but to be eaten.....other than a butter knife!!!
6A013968-D41F-4B84-82BD-A94684D4876C.jpeg

Now the real story....I have completely converted over to this modified hot and fast brisket approach.....ie I started trimming the brisket up at 7am....and after 20 mins of trying to find which GFI plug was connected to the back porch plug because it was tripped.....(it was on the front porch????) to heat up RT up to 275 and the brisket went on at 7:50....

the point hit 197 @ 2pm and then the flat (foil wrapped) @ 2pm hit 203 @ 4:30, they hung out in the 170 oven till 6:30.... when I do brisket this way I always hold it @170 for at least 2 hours........ So yes this brisket point was done start to finish in 8 hours and the flat 10.5 hours....so the whole brisket could have been consumed for dinner.

The other thing I have discovered is the brisket cooks very consistently and with repeatable pleasing results..... ie no sauce slices every time! This is basically how I cook plate ribs so I thought brisket could follow the same path......anyway it’s food for thought for others!

Last edited:
That looks great Civil! Delicious. I've been seeing a few of these Hot and Fast Brisket cooks and they're all good. May try it, I'm only doing 2 or 3 a year these days. That plated shot steals the show. Great work.

A great story and a wonderful cook to go along with it! I don't do brisket anymore, don't have the patience and I'd rather do dino ribs when that urge hits. RAY

Reactions: MJB05615
I am in awe. What a great adventure. Food is always better with a great story.
Thanks Sven! To me good BBQ is life so some times it just happens! LOL!

That looks great Civil! Delicious. I've been seeing a few of these Hot and Fast Brisket cooks and they're all good. May try it, I'm only doing 2 or 3 a year these days. That plated shot steals the show. Great work.
Many thanks MJB! We don’t do too many briskets as I eat TOO MUCH but hot and fast makes them a simple cook so we have been doing them more!

Nicely done! And beautiful slice on the knife!
Thanks swamp! That slice didn’t make it to the plate he he it got devoured as the sample between the boy and me!

A great story and a wonderful cook to go along with it! I don't do brisket anymore, don't have the patience and I'd rather do dino ribs when that urge hits. RAY
Thanks RAY! We are Dino rib fans here too but we consider brisket the boneless Dino! Hot and fast is for the impatient smoker!

Reactions: indaswamp
That brisket looks fantastic!
You can see how tender & juicy it is!
The whole meal looks excellent!
Al

Perfect results on that! I’ll take point over flat all day long and man that looks good. I’m totaling in on the hot and fast too.

That's how I would be also with that beautiful plate of food .....all smiles

great story and great that the whole family was involved , and I love the doneness of the brisket

David
thanks David! Brisket is a family thing for sure.... my wife asked if I wanted Mac and I’m like yea... ( thinking easy dressed up box)...but my wife says you can’t have boxed Mac with brisket!!!

Killer looking brisket! That Mac looks really tasty!
Thanks Brian! It has smoked Gouda in it, I’ve posted the recipe before...when I get some time I’ll post it here again!

Nice job! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks yankee!

That brisket looks fantastic!
You can see how tender & juicy it is!
The whole meal looks excellent!
Al
Many thanks Al! It was a great way to end the week and start the weekend!

Perfect results on that! I’ll take point over flat all day long and man that looks good. I’m totaling in on the hot and fast too.
thanks jcam! This point was very tender and marbling especially for a choice cut....surprising enough our Costco has prime @3.99 back in and my wife saw that after she bought this one...

hot and fast is “the way”.... I have been teaching some clients some recipes and when I show them they can do brisket starting in the morning and have it for dinner they are hooked and their fams think they are out masters!

Great write up. And that plated pic is pure beauty!
Jim
Much appreciation Jim!

Nice looking meal , and great work on the brisket .
Thanks Chop! It’s what I call multi-tasking!

Oh yes! Break look brisket there. your wife is a keeper.
Thanks sandy! Just think you can alternate steak and brisket when your wife is out of town....and oh yes she is a keeper!

Brian, found it! Oh by they way putting this on pizza with bacon is out of this world!

Homemade Mac & Cheese:
1/4C Flour
1/4C Butter
Cook flour & butter till the flour is cooked in.
Wisk in 2C Milk & 1C heavy cream & put on a very low simmer
Once sauce is creamy add:
1C (each) of coarse grated smoked gouda & extra sharp cheddar (Tillamook)
1/2C fine grated parmesan
Season with S&P and some old bay....you can add some red pepper if you want some heat as well.

Next your fav pasta, about 8 to 12 oz dry (boil it al dente while making the sauce).
Add pasta to cheese sauce it is creamy, you want it saucy cause it will be absorbed by the pasta
Put in oven safe dish (individual size or family size). Add some for cheese blend on top and any other goodies you want, ie sausage, bacon, chicken…..then seasoned bread crumbs if desired. The sauce and pasta are the canvas create individual tastes….

Then put in the oven at 400ish to melt the cheese and brown the crumbs (about 6 to 10 min). Added chopped green onion if desired.

Just think you can alternate steak and brisket when your wife is out of town
Exactly!!! Can’t wait. The break will be good for her. Im not always home that much - till the accident and now I’m home nearly 24/7 and can do very little. I think she’s about to loose it. But she a trooper for sure.

Reactions: civilsmoker
thanks jcam! This point was very tender and marbling especially for a choice cut....surprising enough our Costco has prime @3.99 back in and my wife saw that after she bought this one...

hot and fast is “the way”.... I have been teaching some clients some recipes and when I show them they can do brisket starting in the morning and have it for dinner they are hooked and their fams think they are out masters!

Much appreciation Jim!

Thanks Chop! It’s what I call multi-tasking!

Thanks sandy! Just think you can alternate steak and brisket when your wife is out of town....and oh yes she is a keeper!
WOW prime at $3.99!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky