Butt two ways on the WSM

Discussion in 'Pork' started by b-one, Apr 16, 2016.

1. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Smoking two butts overnight one for pulled pork the other for carnitas. Pulled pork butt seasoned with Plowboys BBQ yardbird rub. For the carnitas a recipe found online and slightly altered it contains garlic,dehydrated onion,cumin,salt,oregano and cracked black pepper. Pulled butt to go no foil all the way,most likely. The carnitas one will be panned and foiled at some point and will get the juice from two oranges and a chopped jalapeño on it,may add chicken broth to keep liquid in the pan.

2. b-one

Had to reload to add pics,the options don't always show up on my iPad.

3. b-one

Love letting them roll overnight! Just wrapped the one for carnitas poured ice from two oranges on it and added the chopped jalapeño as planned butt was at an IT of 172*.

keitha likes this.
  4. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

Hi B-one, good looking food there.

Please talk a little more about when you put them on,

when you took them off.

I tried a couple yesterday that didn't get done in time.

Thanks.

Ed

5. keitha

keitha Smoke Blower

good looking food, B-One!!

6. b-one

Morning Ed, I put them on at 8:00 last night and just wrapped one this morning and the other is going no foil all the way my IT is currently 170* it will be awhile before there done! The WSM has been holding steady around 230 most of the night it dipped some this morning about the time I panned and wrapped the one butt so I kicked it to shake some ash and opened a second lower vent and opened the one I had set at half all night long. As you learned butts take along time lots of us have made time mistakes with them!

7. b-one

Thanks Keith, I need to go toss some brats in there soon!

8. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good looking smoke there. The carnival sound really good. Haven't tried them but sure on my list now.

Gary

9. b-one

Up to 183*IT tossed on some johnsonville brats,should have plenty to eat today!

10. b-one

Brats are a great snack!

11. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Missed seeing this,so I pull my chair up and watching.

Richie

12. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Good stuff, can't wait to see the finale!

Al

13. b-one

I tell you I need a chair as well,was trying to finish them on one load of charcoal had to add more to get it cooking!:biggrin:

14. b-one

If you catch a plane you might make it before there done. Foolishly I let the coals go down to far but I added some more so I can turn the corner and finish these without putting them in the oven,I hate having to smell them in the house as they finish.:drool

15. b-one

Did I mention it was a good idea to cook some brats?!

16. b-one

Okay 19 hours later there done! Maybe someday I'll try a higher heat.:biggrin:

The one in the pan is carnitas style,the one on foil is for BBQ pulled pork. They are resting the small hunk I had of each was tasty.:biggrin:

keitha likes this.
  17. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job, they look great !

18. b-one

Thanks WHB! Just pulled the carnitas one and decided on a quick snack before pulling the next one.

19. b-one

And when your the Pitmaster you get what you want! I call it the barkanator,admit it you gotta love the Kraft single on there! I was hoping Al would be here by now so I would have a better bun!:biggrin:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016