Butt & Hocks ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You guys laugh, but we have killed big gators in the front ditch and the neighbors ditch. The kind those guys on TV get all excited about killing!

The ground is too wet to sleep on, and I'd swap the camo netting for mosquito netting. That is why we have always had open carry here, sometimes they won't just shoo away after eating a dog or a cat and ya gotta shoot them, mosquitoes not gators.....

DNR had a big problem down on the coast with the ducks too. The mosquitoes were raping 'em and they were getting ducklings with 4 wings.

You guys laugh, but we have killed big gators in the front ditch and the neighbors ditch. The kind those guys on TV get all excited about killing!

The ground is too wet to sleep on, and I'd swap the camo netting for mosquito netting. That is why we have always had open carry here, sometimes they won't just shoo away after eating a dog or a cat and ya gotta shoot them, mosquitoes not gators.....
LOL...feels like that here lately now in WI. Screwy summer weather means all the mosquitos are out now!

Yup them mosquitoes Here are terrible here too. Why 2 grabbed my buddy and the one said do we eat him or take him back to the woods and the other said eat him here. If we take him back to the woods the big ones will take him away from us. Why they are those hairy back marsh mosquitoes.

Warren

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
Alright Since my ham is getting close to done curing I figured I'd check on some thing...

What temp did you run at for this Foam? Do you want to incrementally walk the temps up? Just curious because any thing else I've done that is cured is definitely done in that manner until it's finished <IE Bacon etc> to avoid fatting out and what not. I figured I pull friday morning and I'd likely run this in the smoker sunday morning and maybe have it done for a nice ham dinner come Sunday night.

Since I wasn't cooking the hocks nor the ham. Was no need. I wanted to smoke them till I was happy with the color and smell so it was more about maintaining a temp level to allow it to smoke but not cook. I usually try and maintain between 100 and 120 degrees (IT). I have been smoking enough so I can pretty much maintain that without a thermometer, although I still use a thermometer in most other cases. I enjoy now being able to use my own senses sight, smell, taste, etc. instead of the electric assistance. Thermometers are a great training aid, I highly recommend them to keep food safe until you are completely familiar with the process and equipment.

IMHO now, ham like brisket needs steam to become cooked tender, like I remember as a kid. This was my test case in all actuality. When I thought about it, Mom always cooked the hams. So I tried it and I liked it much better if I smoked and cooked separately and so did everyone else.

Think about the old farts and how they smoked. They hardly ever smoked to cook and eat the meat, why because they generally used long duration cure and when the meat is cooked the cure is over. So they smoked, hung then cooked.

You can slowly raise the temp as you mentioned, cooked safe is 146 degrees IT. I would recommend though that you smoke it Friday or Saturday, then cook it in foil in the oven on Sunday. Thats when you do your criss-crosses on the fat, add some type of glaze, or just fruit. It honestly goes great with the smoked flavor of the meat. In the oven I cooked mine at 300 degrees to about 160 IT I believe (just because 145 IT is safe temp. I didn't care for it as I usually would), then allow to rest and redistribute. It is all a learning experience as to how you find you like it best. You might try foiled @ 300/325 for 3 to 4 hours. Ovens like smokers all have happy spots where they cook best, or it sure feels like it to me.

I hope somehow somewhere in this thesis I helped.

Since I wasn't cooking the hocks nor the ham. Was no need. I wanted to smoke them till I was happy with the color and smell so it was more about maintaining a temp level to allow it to smoke but not cook. I usually try and maintain between 100 and 120 degrees (IT). I have been smoking enough so I can pretty much maintain that without a thermometer, although I still use a thermometer in most other cases. I enjoy now being able to use my own senses sight, smell, taste, etc. instead of the electric assistance. Thermometers are a great training aid, I highly recommend them to keep food safe until you are completely familiar with the process and equipment.

IMHO now, ham like brisket needs steam to become cooked tender, like I remember as a kid. This was my test case in all actuality. When I thought about it, Mom always cooked the hams. So I tried it and I liked it much better if I smoked and cooked separately and so did everyone else.

Think about the old farts and how they smoked. They hardly ever smoked to cook and eat the meat, why because they generally used long duration cure and when the meat is cooked the cure is over. So they smoked, hung then cooked.

You can slowly raise the temp as you mentioned, cooked safe is 146 degrees IT. I would recommend though that you smoke it Friday or Saturday, then cook it in foil in the oven on Sunday. Thats when you do your criss-crosses on the fat, add some type of glaze, or just fruit. It honestly goes great with the smoked flavor of the meat. In the oven I cooked mine at 300 degrees to about 160 IT I believe (just because 145 IT is safe temp. I didn't care for it as I usually would), then allow to rest and redistribute. It is all a learning experience as to how you find you like it best. You might try foiled @ 300/325 for 3 to 4 hours. Ovens like smokers all have happy spots where they cook best, or it sure feels like it to me.

I hope somehow somewhere in this thesis I helped.
You actually did. I'll probably do this till 146f IT Saturday if it has any pellicle then let it sit overnight in the fridge and I might do it sliced in the crockpot.

I just saw some thing on your original post about 170f is all. Having never had pork butt to ham, I'm pretty curious how it'll be in comparison. Also do you feel the net is some thing really needed or just a bonus? I figured a pork butt would hold shape well or am I wrong?

You should form the pellicle before smoking. Thats the point, it makes the smoke grab and hold better.
Basic safety rules as I understand are, you have 4 hours to either reach safe temp cooked or rechilled with whole muscles. So what this means is, you can place a fan on it on the counter, leave it in the reefer overnight uncovered or smoke it as long as you don't exceed your grace period. Since you can NOT know, only assume that the meat is cured thoroughly, I always try to stay within those guidelines. The 4 hour rule is just one of my mainstays for smoking.

Sooooo..... that means you can also use the initial heat from the smoker with baffles all wide open, (I actually leave my door open or more generally on latch but not closed with all cured meats) to dry the meat and form a pellicle or to dry the meat. I do all these things if I have a good pellicle already or not. But actually I normally do this even after I have formed a pellicle on the counter and/or left uncovered in the reefer overnight. the drier the skin the better the smoke. The better the smoke, the less you need. Of course the last is only my personal opinion from my observation.

Pellicle is very important but nothing exceeds safety.

You should form the pellicle before smoking. Thats the point, it makes the smoke grab and hold better.
Basic safety rules as I understand are, you have 4 hours to either reach safe temp cooked or rechilled with whole muscles. So what this means is, you can place a fan on it on the counter, leave it in the reefer overnight uncovered or smoke it as long as you don't exceed your grace period. Since you can NOT know, only assume that the meat is cured thoroughly, I always try to stay within those guidelines. The 4 hour rule is just one of my mainstays for smoking.

Sooooo..... that means you can also use the initial heat from the smoker with baffles all wide open, (I actually leave my door open or more generally on latch but not closed with all cured meats) to dry the meat and form a pellicle or to dry the meat. I do all these things if I have a good pellicle already or not. But actually I normally do this even after I have formed a pellicle on the counter and/or left uncovered in the reefer overnight. the drier the skin the better the smoke. The better the smoke, the less you need. Of course the last is only my personal opinion from my observation.

Pellicle is very important but nothing exceeds safety.
Amen to that. Rather have a light smoke then unsafe product!

I slacked on getting pictures of mine. <I took a nap when it was in the oven, had company over when smoking it!>

But I gotta say Foam, this is very good stuff, the only complaint to my palate is the level of saltiness. If I soaked for 20 mins after it came out of the brine that doesn't make it unsafe does it?

Instead of your wash rinse time, why not simple cut back a little on your salt in the brine. If you are using canning salt try the same amount of regular Mortons, if you are using regular salt, try using kosher. Or use the same salt and just decrease the quantity a little. So many ways to change it, what is easiest for you.

I laughed the store had lower ham halves for sale this week (basically a big shank) for 4.00/lb. Heck I made a butt ham cost me less than a dollar/pound. I am not cheap, not even frugal, I am a buyer. Never cared about gas mileage when the men gather at the family reunion, I was all about how fast could I get there! LOL

I just love the fact that I can do now and i will always be able.

I wasn't sure if changing the salt in the brine was safe or not.

I also can't believe a store would consider 4 dollars a pound for any pork is a good price ! Jeezo!

Picked up some hocks this week and plan to brine and smoke them. Noticed that you used 1 1/2 tsps of cure. Any reason so little? I thought it was about a Tbsp per gallon of water. Just want to make sure I use the right amounts. Thanks.

Picked up some hocks this week and plan to brine and smoke them. Noticed that you used 1 1/2 tsps of cure. Any reason so little? I thought it was about a Tbsp per gallon of water. Just want to make sure I use the right amounts. Thanks.
Now I don't know all the sciencey parts behind this but I can tell you right now that the brine works. I think with all the sugar added and other salt, you don't need as much pink salt 1. I might be wrong, but all the stuff I read online has 1 cup of salt per gal added, and Foamy has that+ Sugar per gallon.

Nope, I am guessing its a mistake. I deal a lot in curing with quarts also. Just change it to Tbsp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky