Butt & Hocks ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh , That ham, thats beautiful.

I have 2 hocks in the freezer from last year. Have a pig going to the butcher next week. I will be curing the hocks , hams and bacons.

Hoping my hocks look like this.

Thank you Adam

A suggestion, if they are about the same size slice 'em in half. These are just too big unless you are feeding a family of 7 or 8. I also suggest apple with either pecan or cob....

Beautiful ham! My mouth is watering!!

Thank you

You know, mine did too. LOL I cut a small "burnt end" off the end first, it was dry and hard. But when I tried a slice it just melted in my mouth with a perfect sweet/salty balance. And the juice, I wished later I had let it sit longer redistributing, you know how it is though. That juice must be really bad for you 'cause its awesome!

I actually picked up two pork butts, one is going to be pulled pork..was thinking of banging out more buckboard bacon..but man I like the look of this. Now I gotta figure out a tub or bucket or some thing to shove this all in..

The butt I'll be using is 8 pounds, since you didn't say the weight you used Foamy, standard 1/4 TSP Pink 1 per pound or?

I actually picked up two pork butts, one is going to be pulled pork..was thinking of banging out more buckboard bacon..but man I like the look of this. Now I gotta figure out a tub or bucket or some thing to shove this all in..

The butt I'll be using is 8 pounds, since you didn't say the weight you used Foamy, standard 1/4 TSP Pink 1 per pound or?

Weight doesn't matter with a brine cure. Only thickness, if the meat is over 2" thick it needs injecting. Cure is pretty simple, its always 1 tsp per gallon. You only use pounds when dry curing. There are lots of things you can do for a brine. I have been using the new 2 gallon ziplock bags in many cases. I heard in the beginning, that Sam's/Walmart has great food save deep buckets that the bakery uses (they get prepackaged cake frosting in them). I understand they are really nice to brine in and if you catch 'em when they have them you can usually get a couple for free. Anything you can get submerged in your brine container is good to go. Some folks use plates with a can on it to hold meat submerged, or you can use a ziplock bag full of water to hold the meat dawn also.

If you truss, do it before you cure.

The reason I used 1 1/2 tsp of cure here, was I was told that it was the edge of the envelope, I only use that amount when wanting a serious hammy taste. But I am saying to you to only use 1 tsp or .04 oz. until you get well versed in cure applications. You can seriously hurt someone with cure, it is an exact chemistry.

If you need two gallons to cover the meat in the bucket you just make two batches of brine cure. I have done that also. I have learned though I just don't like that much work at one time. Use what you can, what will fit your reefer and/or your meats.

Weight doesn't matter with a brine cure. Only thickness, if the meat is over 2" thick it needs injecting. Cure is pretty simple, its always 1 tsp per gallon. You only use pounds when dry curing. There are lots of things you can do for a brine. I have been using the new 2 gallon ziplock bags in many cases. I heard in the beginning, that Sam's/Walmart has great food save deep buckets that the bakery uses (they get prepackaged cake frosting in them). I understand they are really nice to brine in and if you catch 'em when they have them you can usually get a couple for free. Anything you can get submerged in your brine container is good to go. Some folks use plates with a can on it to hold meat submerged, or you can use a ziplock bag full of water to hold the meat dawn also.

If you truss, do it before you cure.

The reason I used 1 1/2 tsp of cure here, was I was told that it was the edge of the envelope, I only use that amount when wanting a serious hammy taste. But I am saying to you to only use 1 tsp or .04 oz. until you get well versed in cure applications. You can seriously hurt someone with cure, it is an exact chemistry.

If you need two gallons to cover the meat in the bucket you just make two batches of brine cure. I have done that also. I have learned though I just don't like that much work at one time. Use what you can, what will fit your reefer and/or your meats.
Thanks! I know all about being exact with cure, got a freezer full of cured meat using the dry rubs. I actually have some big ole buckets that are food grade from when I was doing home brewing as a hobby. Just gotta see if they'd fit in the fridge ... lol.

While its curing you can do as you please. When you are doing weeks of curing, if you need to take it out for a 1/2 hour for some reason its fine.
Ha..I just mostly want to open and go 'and picture time!' not that you could really see much I suppose lol.

Ha..I just mostly want to open and go 'and picture time!' not that you could really see much I suppose lol.

You can talk to it, but.... they are sometimes camera shy and won't do much picture worthy.

Wish I'd had some of these hocks to accompany my jowls into my Black Beans yesterday.

You got cured smoked jowls, the hocks would just be a waste. Jowls were always my Pop's favorite, we don't see many of them in south Louisiana though. When lucky enough to get some, no one else is the family would eat any, so they would last longer for Pop. Jowls, eggs, toast and jelly, cup of coffee.

Kevin, Somehow I missed this post, nice looking ham and hocks ! like

Ham really was good. Have not tried a hock yet. I put on a big pot of navy beans today and the little thats left of the ham will be in it.

Reactions: crazymoon
You can talk to it, but.... they are sometimes camera shy and won't do much picture worthy.

You got cured smoked jowls, the hocks would just be a waste. Jowls were always my Pop's favorite, we don't see many of them in south Louisiana though. When lucky enough to get some, no one else is the family would eat any, so they would last longer for Pop. Jowls, eggs, toast and jelly, cup of coffee.

Ham really was good. Have not tried a hock yet. I put on a big pot of navy beans today and the little thats left of the ham will be in it.
Lol! Foam!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky