Butcher&Packer 46mm casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Some people rather andouille in hog casings instead of beef middles. I'm contemplating picking up a 1/2" or 5/8" grinding plate and getting some 46mm and up hog casings and making a batch. I've never used butcher&Packer casings, are they any good? If the guys are successful on the hog hunt next tuesday, I may make a batch of wild hog andouille.

Its all in what you want. I have a 3/4" plate and I generally use the kidney plate instead for andouille. The very best andouille I have made was hand cut, no grinding.

I use 46MM B&P hog casing vice middles, I like the end result much better. I normally get my casings from B&P and have yet to disappointed. Generally I buy casings once a year and they will usually last a year. I always get some small sheep, some 28/32MM and 46MM. That about covers my needs.

The most important thing about andouille is lots and lots of bloom time. And that andouille is about the cracked black vice the cayenne.

I know I have 5 or 2 Q-View threads making andouille on here. I am pretty happy with it.

Editt, I smoke with pecan & corn cob and I highly recommend a double smoke.

Reactions: crazymoon
I'm just getting ready to make some Andouille myself. I have always used hog casings & the large plate on my grinder.
Never tried double smoking them, but may give that a try. Thanks for the tip Kevin!
Al

Its all in what you want. I have a 3/4" plate and I generally use the kidney plate instead for andouille. The very best andouille I have made was hand cut, no grinding.

I use 46MM B&P hog casing vice middles, I like the end result much better. I normally get my casings from B&P and have yet to disappointed. Generally I buy casings once a year and they will usually last a year. I always get some small sheep, some 28/32MM and 46MM. That about covers my needs.

The most important thing about andouille is lots and lots of bloom time. And that andouille is about the cracked black vice the cayenne.

I know I have 5 or 2 Q-View threads making andouille on here. I am pretty happy with it.

Editt, I smoke with pecan & corn cob and I highly recommend a double smoke.

Thanks for the reply. I knew you used large hog casing for your andouille, just did not know where you got it from. I don't have a problem with beef middles....it's what I grew up on and it's how they made it at the restaurant for 120 years. But I have some friends that prefer large hog casing so I'm thinking about making a run with it to try it out.

I hung my andouille in the refer for 2 days. casings were very dry and tacky. Then I warmed them in the smokehouse for about an hour. Very nice pellicle. I put the links on @ 7am and good smoke pouring out the vents.
I've always used pecan, a little oak, and either sugar cane or dark brown sugar. Gotta be careful with the sugar though or you will smother out the fire and get white smoke. I prefer to pour a pile in one spot rather that cover the entire wood pile, very good blue smoke that way.

I have a friend that works at the rural life museum in Baton Rouge. He uses corn cob a lot. I'll have to try it.

I'm just getting ready to make some Andouille myself. I have always used hog casings & the large plate on my grinder.
Never tried double smoking them, but may give that a try. Thanks for the tip Kevin!
Al

I smoke it, cook it, and then smoke it again....... When you open the vac seal bag of finished andouille the whole house knows what you've done by the smell.

I normally cook mine in the roaster, safer and more exacting. I nearly never have an trace of rendered fat like when hanging and cooking in the smoker. besides I give a ton of andouille away, I couldn't take a chance of making someone sick. I know the chances are it wouldn't ever happen, but..... it is just a little more to insure I won't, I figure my friends and family are worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I also make mine a short length. I thought it made each length the perfect size for one gumbo as well as making packaging easy (two to a vac seal bag), BUT..... with the double smoke I find that I need even less than a link to get that smoked andouille flavor. A whole link, and people go nuts!

For me, no such thing as too much smoke-as long as it is not bitter. And with andouille-I like it very heavy but it has to be a sweet smoke.

No. Stuff without a plate......

IMG_3760.JPG

And this is the difference with corn cob.
Below is hickory and apple smoked bacon

Last bacon 002.JPG

And below is corn cob and Apple I think, really a different color.
Both have a sweet taste too. I would never have even dreamed of using it if not for Pop saying they always used it with post oak in West Texas.

001.JPG

Try it sometime and see what you think.

Last edited:
My bad, I should have said are you grinding the meat with the kidney plate then stuffing into 46mm casing. I mean is that the size grind you are using in 46mm casing? I thought it would be a bit too big of pieces.

See that bowl in the picture? See the size of the "grind"? I would love all my andouille to be that size. That was hand cut and not ground. That andouille was sooo tender. I bought and use a 3/4 plate it cuts better than the kidney or stuffing plate. But its still too small IMHO. Itf you have the time and want perfection I still say the hand cut is the only way to go.

But you really have to be dedicated to quality to do it! LOL And be good at keeping that knife sharp.....LOL

07 Course chopped Butt.JPG

08 Seasoned with Cure Meat.JPG

031.JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky