Burnt Ends Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
The plan is to get up around 2-3 am Thursday morning (my day off) and begin my first attempt at a brisket. Watching several video's, I think I am going to leave the point attached, but trim the fat between the flat and point in order to season the point. When I pull the meat, I will separate the point for burnt ends while wrapping the flat in butcher paper and place it in a cooler. That is my plan today.

The questions are 1. what are some suggestions for the sauce to coat on the ends while I finish them off, 2 how long and at what temp. Seems like I have read to continue at 225 for another 30-45 minutes? Thoughts?

The plan is to get up around 2-3 am Thursday morning (my day off) and begin my first attempt at a brisket. Watching several video's, I think I am going to leave the point attached, but trim the fat between the flat and point in order to season the point. When I pull the meat, I will separate the point for burnt ends while wrapping the flat in butcher paper and place it in a cooler. That is my plan today.

The questions are 1. what are some suggestions for the sauce to coat on the ends while I finish them off, 2 how long and at what temp. Seems like I have read to continue at 225 for another 30-45 minutes? Thoughts?
Best thing for time is to just keep checking them until you get the tenderness you want . as far a the sauce goes.....could be anything. Pick your favorite store baught sauce add some honey or brown sugar.....maybe both and a bunch of butter. Check out Malcolm Reed's how to BBQ right videos he has some good points on burnt ends.

Reactions: 912smoker
The last one I did I pulled them around 195, cubed the point, sauced them and cooked them another 2 hours or so at 225. I think it's a matter of personal preference but for me that extra time lets the burnt ends get nice and carmelized on the outside.

The last one I did I pulled them around 195, cubed the point, sauced them and cooked them another 2 hours or so at 225. I think it's a matter of personal preference but for me that extra time lets the burnt ends get nice and carmelized on the outside.
That's what I'm after.

Sowsage Sowsage , I'll check out Malcom's videos. I'm thinking a sweet BBQ sauce that I can add some heat too. I don't like the sauce that blows your head off, but I do like it to have a bit of a kick.

I have been doing only beef broth in a foil pan until they are almost done and then pour the beef broth out, lightly cover them in sauce and back on for about a half hour uncovered. I am big fan of sticky fingers carolina sweet. It is not all sweet (despite the name) and has a bit of spice and vinegar to it. It is the only sauce I use on anything. I recommend trying to keep it very simple on your first attempt.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky