Burnt Ends from Packer Brisket -- Can I hold entire brisket for a few hours then separate to make burnt ends?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mng024

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
Wisconsin
As the title states, curious about holding my brisket and then separating point and flat to make burnt ends. Will be starting the brisket around 1AM Sat Morning to ensure it is ready in time for dinner Saturday. As you all know, the time can fluctuate immensely and the last brisket I did like this finished around 1PM. Will I be good if I hold it for a few hours (wrapped in foil, in towels, in cooler) and then maybe an hour before dinner I will probably throw on my gas weber to finish them off? Or is there a better way to approach? Having the in-laws for dinner which is why I'm a little more concerned w timing.

Holding is fine. Leave the probe in the meat and keep the temp. above 140*F and you are good. I like to put in an insulated ice chest with old blankets and towels. Will keep warm 4+hours like that. And brisket benefits from a long rest period anyhow- lets all that collagen break down into ooey gooey geletin for a really moist brisket!

Thanks. As far as when I do throw the ends on, how important is having more smoke? More than likely my WSM will be out, but I could put them on the weber kettle otherwise just propane

Let the brisket sit out uncovered for about half an hour so to get the temp down to around 140 then put wrap it back up in the foil and place in the towel lined cooler. If you put the brisket in the towel lined cooler without letting it cool down a bit, she'll continue to cook.

As indaswamp indaswamp said, she'll hold good for 4+ hours.

Reactions: mng024
Another question...ideally I would separate then at 190° or so and then put both back on. If I do end up finishing early and needing to rest, will I be good doing the BE even if I have the brisket at warm butter tender?

Let the brisket sit out uncovered for about half an hour so to get the temp down to around 140 then put wrap it back up in the foil and place in the towel lined cooler. If you put the brisket in the towel lined cooler without letting it cool down a bit, she'll continue to cook.

As indaswamp indaswamp said, she'll hold good for 4+ hours.
I would not cool prior to holding. Wrap in foil fast as you can and get it in the cooler. You want the temp. to stay above 180* for a while to break that collagen down. Also, if you put it in at 140*, it will start to cool and be below 140* faster, will not stay above 140* for 4+ hours.....

I hold all my briskets minimum of 2 hours.

I would not cool prior to holding. Wrap in foil fast as you can and get it in the cooler. You want the temp. to stay above 180* for a while to break that collagen down. Also, if you put it in at 140*, it will start to cool and be below 140* faster, will not stay above 140* for 4+ hours.....

I hold all my briskets minimum of 2 hours.

Good catch on the 140. I meant to say180. I am typing in the dark without my glasses.

I separate the point and flat prior to cooking. Just my preference.
Point and flat can smoke together.
I take to 160 to 180° , foil wrap, then finish in the oven. Foil keeps the fat and collagen from dripping away plus I control the finish time with oven temperature.

Not a burnt end fan

I separate the point and flat prior to cooking. Just my preference.
Point and flat can smoke together.
I take to 160 to 180° , foil wrap, then finish in the oven. Foil keeps the fat and collagen from dripping away plus I control the finish time with oven temperature.

Not a burnt end fan

I'm sorry

DOH...Wrong thread....lol

Last edited:
Well it goes without saying when you have a firebox next the smoking chamber in a horizontal setup that one side of the chamber will be hotter, gradient is out the window. Gradient is never really talked about which I kind of find interesting. Personally I have pretty much every smoking BBQ concept setup and while the stick burner horizontal smoker will give you great intense smoke flavor compared with a pellet smoker, I have to tend to my meat and be way more on point (less drinking) compared with a pellet smoker.
I live in the Bay Area California where all my wood sources over the years have disappeared. The wood at Safeway isn't cooking grade so don't even try unless it's all oak which years ago I could get here. Pellet smoker here is the way to go.
Lately my choice of smoking has been using a vertical pellet smoker with a nice big water tray! The uniformity is way improved and the water tray keeps moisture in the chamber. I prefer to use whisky barrel pellets (60 lb hopper) and no BBQ sauce, just home rub and a whisky mop. The meat is unreal....
I think you have the wrong thread lol.

I have a WSM for the record ;)

Reactions: 3-2-1
Well it goes without saying when you have a firebox next the smoking chamber in a horizontal setup that one side of the chamber will be hotter, gradient is out the window. Gradient is never really talked about which I kind of find interesting. Personally I have pretty much every smoking BBQ concept setup and while the stick burner horizontal smoker will give you great intense smoke flavor compared with a pellet smoker, I have to tend to my meat and be way more on point (less drinking) compared with a pellet smoker.
I live in the Bay Area California where all my wood sources over the years have disappeared. The wood at Safeway isn't cooking grade so don't even try unless it's all oak which years ago I could get here. Pellet smoker here is the way to go.
Lately my choice of smoking has been using a vertical pellet smoker with a nice big water tray! The uniformity is way improved and the water tray keeps moisture in the chamber. I prefer to use whisky barrel pellets (60 lb hopper) and no BBQ sauce, just home rub and a whisky mop. The meat is unreal....
Beautiful smoke ring!!😊

Reactions: 3-2-1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky