burnt ends, and almost patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
hey y'all been absent due to life shit and work. Picked up a second cut brisket from my Italian market cause I had a hankerin' for burnt ends. Since it's not NASAR yet must have been for football.
posting mostly to remind y'all not to take things for granted. prepped thr meat as usual. Cooking on my MB560 gravity. As usual my inkbird i-BBQ4T initiated with one probe on the grate and two on the meat. Let it settle in with thermostat at 260 (since that setting usually yields a consistent 230-235 on the grate.
It was a beautiful warm Sunday and the jeep was all sparkly so I decided to do a quick run to lowes to see if they had any cherry chunks to change things up a bit. When I left chamber was at 240. I'm in town so Lowes is only a couple lights and 10 minutes away. got there and was waddling towards the grill section.
Got a text from Wifey. "Is the smoker ok?" shit. Turned on inkbird app and the chamber was at 459 degrees. F&*k...... told her to open the lid nd pull the meat off. waddled much more quickly to the jeep and busted ass home. When I pulled up, I could see smoke billowing up the back of the house. I've got a hard covered patio so smoke was just from the wood that hit in the chamber. Don't know how long the temp got that high as i don't typically set alarms. Th blower was blowing high nd there was a raging "smolder" going on and blowing into the chamber. to this day i don't know why it went beserk and wouldn't shut off the blower. The meat was barely singed so it was saved. cycled power nd closed the lid untill it settled back to 235. continued process to bark and wrap, with no incidents. the rest of the afternoon was uneventful nd the gravity settled right to 235 and held it for hours,.
So the story ended well. So no matter how comfortable you are with thermal/mechanical things, shit does happen. I'm just glad lowes is close nd the jeep was in a good mood. Pics for proof
one bark pic at 165, and finished.
carry on.

IMG-4306.jpg
IMG-4307.jpg

That's quite the ordeal, glad your house and brisket made it thru. The BEs do look good.

Point for sure
Chris

Man oh man, that's a crazy scary story. Glad all is well though and you managed to sane the brisket...and the house of course :emoji_wink:

Robert

I can so relate to your story. My 1st brisket, almost 40 years ago, was on a Brinkmann R2D2 looking thing with charcoal pan at the lowest level, water pan in the middle and grate on top. I had no idea what I was doing and I didn’t trim any of the fat off a full packer.

Got the fire going, put the water and brisket in, and walked to a nearby convenience store to get a newspaper. It was early, around 5 or 6 a.m. On the walk home, I noticed an orange glow coming from my backyard. Ran home to a fireball, with flames coming up around the lid of the smoker. All that fat had caught fire.

I got it put out and thought my brisket was ruined because it looked like a piece of lava rock. I decided to just cook it in the oven and it actually turned out great! I guess that sear sealed in the juices. I was lucky to have pulled the smoker out from under the patio cover, otherwise I might have burned the house down.

Thanks for bringing back the memory! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: fxsales1959
Glad it turned out good looks great. Any idea what happened? I've been thinking about one of those smokers

I really have no idea. it was somewhere around where the fan should cut off when chamber temp is met. In a year and multitude of cooks this is the first issue. Without getting to "engineery" pre-coffee, MB's placement of the probe that measures chamber temps could be better. Instead of re-enginerring I have learned that set temp yield chamber temps bout 30-40 degrees higher. I use my inkbird with a chamber temp probe to get precise chamber temps by adjusting the "set-temp" dial. If I had to do it over I would buy this grill/smoker again. the end results are marvelous. typically once i get the temp set it will run for hours within a 5-10 degree swingby my inkbird. it isn't nearly as tedious as adjusting slides on my egg, or stuffing wood into my offset and guessing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky