Burned Up Gen 1 MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vgene

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Ada, MI
Hey All,
I'm usually a "watcher" - benefiting from you all smarter than me - and grateful for you!
I couldn't find anything on my issue so here's my deal and question:
I have a 10 yr old Gen 1 MES "electric smokehouse" version which ran out of gas this summer...heating element worked fine, just ordered a sweet looking Auberins WIFI PID to circumvent the control board - using tallbm's input on how to wire in without taking off the back.
As I was working on it though I smelled something that smoked meat shouldn't smell like - horrible "burned plastic" smell...decided to take the back off anyway.
And, pic 1 shows what was smelling. 1/3 of the insulation in the back and nearly all of the insulation on one side is burned/charred.
The return wire from the team control unit to the burner was bared midway and arcs (fortunate to only have burned insulation in the unit!).
Now, I'm needing input on:
1. Is this box shot?
2. Is it possible to re-insulate - using what product?
3. Since I'm all wide open, if I re-insulate, can I now just direct wire to the heating element?

The unit has DEFINITELY been "paid off" for years - 100's of loads run through it without trouble. But, if I can save a landfill some content I'm all for it.

Any thoughts?
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1726.jpg IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg
IMG_1726.jpg
IMG_1727.jpg

Welcome to the site - glad you finally decided to join up. To me there comes a point in time where it's just time to let it go. Your MES has served you well and it may be time to upgrade. Unless of course you have an emotional attachment to the unit. My question is did you toss out the meat?

Chris

Not sure what you did to cause that failure, but my advice would be to just replace it with an analog MES and connect it to your Auberins controller. Done.
10 years is a good run. But never beat a dead horse. It's a waste of time.

Probably a MES 30, I don't think they make a MES 40 that's plain old analog.

I was thinking , " I'd fix it " but you know , not worth the risk of a fire . Might be things you can't see that could be a problem . I agree with Gary , but if you keep it as a cold smoker , cut the cord off .

Morning... I'd replace the wiring with high temp, fiberglass coated wire.... Scrape out the foam and replace with Roxul or fiberglass fiberboard... Turn on the power and see what the results are... Then you would know if the thermocouple and snap switch need replacing... Total cost around $30... The smoker body looks fine... That's the expensive part..

Getting ready to convert my Gen 1 MES40 with the auber control. Just looking for the time to do it as I have everything needed. After reading your post I think I will go ahead and pull the back off it and check it out and replace the wires as Dave suggested. I got probably 10yrs out of the old girl and the cabinet is still in prime condition. I will be watching to see how yours turns out.

Barry.

Hey All,
I'm usually a "watcher" - benefiting from you all smarter than me - and grateful for you!
I couldn't find anything on my issue so here's my deal and question:
I have a 10 yr old Gen 1 MES "electric smokehouse" version which ran out of gas this summer...heating element worked fine, just ordered a sweet looking Auberins WIFI PID to circumvent the control board - using tallbm's input on how to wire in without taking off the back.
As I was working on it though I smelled something that smoked meat shouldn't smell like - horrible "burned plastic" smell...decided to take the back off anyway.
And, pic 1 shows what was smelling. 1/3 of the insulation in the back and nearly all of the insulation on one side is burned/charred.
The return wire from the team control unit to the burner was bared midway and arcs (fortunate to only have burned insulation in the unit!).
Now, I'm needing input on:
1. Is this box shot?
2. Is it possible to re-insulate - using what product?
3. Since I'm all wide open, if I re-insulate, can I now just direct wire to the heating element?

The unit has DEFINITELY been "paid off" for years - 100's of loads run through it without trouble. But, if I can save a landfill some content I'm all for it.

Any thoughts?View attachment 380387View attachment 380387 View attachment 380386View attachment 380385View attachment 380385

View attachment 380387 View attachment 380385 View attachment 380386

Hi there and welcome!

I think you might be able to salvage what you have.
I like Dave's suggestion of replacing the damaged wiring which is highly recommended since the old wiring seems to have been causing some burning issues.

Is the insulation completely burned up or is it just the outside of the the insulation?
I ask because if you scrape down into it and a majority of the insulation is not burnt up then I think you just scrape off the burnt stuff and replace with some high temp heater/oven/dryer insulation (see here).

Now if the insulation is completely shot then you may have a problem you didn't consider. The foam insulation provides the STABILITY and sturdiness of the MES smoker. With out the dense stiff foam you would just have a wobbly sheet metal box for a smoker.

SO, if you can ensure the integrity of the smoker exists once you remove the burnt out portion of the foam insulation then I think you can just pack in the heater/oven/dryer insulation and be ready to rock again!

While your doing all of this work I would highly recommend you replace the connectors at the heating element and the safety rollout limit switch with hi temp stainless steel onese, these should work:

These would be better if you have a crimper that can do the job or if you are soldering:

Here are replacement rollout safety limit switches, I would recommend you get a few extra of these as they are delicate and if you loosen the tabs or make them wiggle then they will burn up on you forcing you to replace them anyways, here is one that should fit perfectly and gives your Auber a little leeway to do it's autotune thing should the temp shoot up to about 300F or a little more. Get these EXACT ones, there is another design that looks the same but actually is not the same and will not work.

Finally, I have had some luck periodically checking on Craigslist for used MES units and have been able to come across 2 used units for $40-50 that were great rewire projects. My area may be more densely populated than yours but it never hurts to check and see if someone is unloading an MES for cheap and it doesn't matter if it is electronically failing or not cause you are all ready to do a rewire anyhow and you have current smoker for spare parts like the heating element! Just some food for thought.

In any case let us know what you find as you investigate more and let us know what you come up with :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Princeau99
Great input guys!! Thanks!!
How much Rewire would I need to do if I went w my new PID?
No spray foam would work that I can see. Anyone know of a high temp foam - it would add rigidity to the box (firestop foam days max temp of 150 degrees).

Not sure what you did to cause that failure, but my advice would be to just replace it with an analog MES and connect it to your Auberins controller. Done.
10 years is a good run. But never beat a dead horse. It's a waste of time.

Probably a MES 30, I don't think they make a MES 40 that's plain old analog.

Why would you recommend an Analog Masterbuilt Smoker?
Because they're cheaper? Or because there is no insulation in them to catch fire?

No---They don't make an MES 40 that is Analog, but they don't make an MES 30 that is Analog either.
"MES" stands for "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse", and they don't have anything to do with the Analog Masterbuilt Smokers. MES units are ALL Electronic.
I believe after 10 years of good service from a Smoker, I'd be inclined to get one similar to it.

Bear

Why would you recommend an Analog Masterbuilt Smoker?
Because they're cheaper? Or because there is no insulation in them to catch fire?

No---They don't make an MES 40 that is Analog, but they don't make an MES 30 that is Analog either.
"MES" stands for "Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse", and they don't have anything to do with the Analog Masterbuilt Smokers. MES units are ALL Electronic.
I believe after 10 years of good service from a Smoker, I'd be inclined to get one similar to it.

Bear

Simple Bear, he has an Auburins control. So if he gets a plain analog controlled smoker, he can plug it into the Auburins, set the manual (analog, not digital) control to a setting above his desired temperature, and run the smoker completely temperature controlled by the Auburins.
No fooling around with making the digital bypassed to make a smoker be cord controlled.
Plus, it will have the safety thermo disc built into the internals of the analog smoker.
Make sense now?

I can't see resurrecting a 10 year old smoker that is half burned up.
094428272835_09458679.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
Simple Bear, he has an Auburins control. So if he gets a plain analog controlled smoker, he can plug it into the Auburins, set the manual (analog, not digital) control to a setting above his desired temperature, and run the smoker completely temperature controlled by the Auburins.
No fooling around with making the digital bypassed to make a smoker be cord controlled.
Plus, it will have the safety thermo disc built into the internals of the analog smoker.
Make sense now?

I can't see resurrecting a 10 year old smoker that is half burned up.

OK, I should have known that.
That's kinda what I did with my Pellet Heating stove when I had it.
I cut a Digital thermostat into the little Therm wire that came with it. Then I set the Stove's Therm to 80°.
Then I set my Digital wall Therm to 68°, and it took over completely.
Thanks Sonny!

BTW: Actually I think "vgene" will be buying a new Gen #2.5 MES 40 to replace his 10 year old Gen #1.

Bear

Reactions: SonnyE
Bear's on track:) I'm shopping it - best I've found is $386 on Amazon...
Which makes me look at ALL kinds of other options! Shoot - too many good lookers out there at that price.
Anyone know if the Dyna-Glo 2 door is any good? Sure looks sweet option wise...

Great input guys!! THANKS!!

Tallbm I’m following all steps you’ve given.

I first did a temp Rewire to see if all is working and it is with cutting out the control board.

Insulation’s is shot so ordered a 48”/24” hi temp insulation to replace burned up Insulation. I will have to take one side panel off to re insulate it. H

Ordered new wire, rollouts and connectors.

All arrives Friday. Hope to rebuild and test w new PID Friday night. May be smoking Saturday??? Might be optimistic:).

Have venison hanging and 14# of snack sticks frozen all needing smoke!!!

Any further thoughts?

Also bearcarver got me looking at new units...I might be adding a shinny one soon:)

Sam's Club and Academy sports should have black Friday deals anytime.

Last edited:
Appreciate the help on spending:)
Onto multiple amnps units n pellets.
Your encouragement is always helpful tho:)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky